Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Lawnmower for rough grass

Options
  • 25-02-2019 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

any one got any advice on a decent lawnmower for rough grass. Have roughly half acre of a back garden which was a field and we didn't landscape or do much with. Budget of roughly €1000.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I can't help but think you'd be just better off waiting for the dry weather, strimming it big time then hiring a rotavator and starting from scratch so you can do the job with a 200 quid mower in the years to come (or turn it into a meadow instead - strim once a year!)

Worth pointing out a field is a field and not a lawn waiting to happen - it'll be full of roots, rocks, perennial weeds which is why just cutting it isn't enough really.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would say a wheeled strimmer would be your best bet.
    s-l1600.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I can't help but think you'd be just better off waiting for the dry weather, strimming it big time then hiring a rotavator and starting from scratch so you can do the job with a 200 quid mower in the years to come (or turn it into a meadow instead - strim once a year!)

Worth pointing out a field is a field and not a lawn waiting to happen - it'll be full of roots, rocks, perennial weeds which is why just cutting it isn't enough really.

This. If you don't fancy rotavating yourself spend some money on a decent gardener. Process we went through a few years ago involved getting big roots taken up, rotavating, raking and seeding. A fair bit of work but for a decent result.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭vanman99

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I would say a wheeled strimmer would be your best bet.
    s-l1600.jpg

I'm liking the streamer idea but what about all the grass, I'll spend as much time collecting that as I will cutting it......my usual grass cutting routine involves a fairly dodgy push mower and about 2 hours up and down and up and down, do it on a weekend, put a match on the radio, headphones on and by the time you're finished you have a cut field and a match listened too, the time doesn't bother me the fairly dodgy mower does so looking for ideas on powerful/large mowers under €1000 to take some of the work.....

vanman99 wrote: »
    I'm liking the streamer idea but what about all the grass, I'll spend as much time collecting that as I will cutting it......my usual grass cutting routine involves a fairly dodgy push mower and about 2 hours up and down and up and down, do it on a weekend, put a match on the radio, headphones on and by the time you're finished you have a cut field and a match listened too, the time doesn't bother me the fairly dodgy mower does so looking for ideas on powerful/large mowers under €1000 to take some of the work.....

You will get a Honda hrx 537 for €1100. Should mow and collect in a little over an hour. I think I even got my last one under that price.

I'm cutting 25 lawns a week with one of these and I get a year out of it so it should last you a long time

Also have a look at John Deere dedicated mulching mowers if you are able to get to it once a week. Or Husqvarna and Stiga The pro ones

As above I would rotativate. I have a customer you has started cutting a field and grass grows quicker and way thicker than anything else I look after. The volume of grass coming from it has to be at least double.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,355 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You will get a Honda hrx 537 for €1100. Should mow and collect in a little over an hour. I think I even got my last one under that price.

I'm cutting 25 lawns a week with one of these and I get a year out of it so it should last you a long time

Was the mower hammered after 1 year?

Only asking as I bought one new last year, fantastic piece of kit. I know I won't be cutting 25 a week, but surprised that you only got 1 year from it.

Is there not a warranty to cover it?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Was the mower hammered after 1 year?

Only asking as I bought one new last year, fantastic piece of kit. I know I won't be cutting 25 a week, but surprised that you only got 1 year from it.

Is there not a warranty to cover it?

2 years warranty for domestic users. When I say a year it was fine after a year. The machine was fine. The first one I ever had I kept for the start of a second season. I had some valve trouble where they need adjusting. I had to do work on the drive as well

1 season 15-20 hours a week for the 30 busy weeks and winter work as needed. Is 450 plus hours. Oil filters and plug would be all I would change in that time

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

Hi Suresanders, You seem to have good knowledge on lawnmowers. I need a Ride-0n for a fairly big lawn. What would you recommend. I was thinking of the HUSQVARNA TC138. Thanks for any help you can give me.

hillbloom wrote: »
    Hi Suresanders, You seem to have good knowledge on lawnmowers. I need a Ride-0n for a fairly big lawn. What would you recommend. I was thinking of the HUSQVARNA TC138. Thanks for any help you can give me.

My knowledge is only with push mowers. Never did much with ride ons. Ask in the great big lawnmower thread. Lads in there know a lot about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Also have a look at John Deere dedicated mulching mowers if you are able to get to it once a week. Or Husqvarna and Stiga The pro ones

As above I would rotativate. I have a customer you has started cutting a field and grass grows quicker and way thicker than anything else I look after. The volume of grass coming from it has to be at least double.

:eek: I got 15 years out of my last big Honda. The new ones aren't as good but I would expect at least 3 or 4.

• Advertisement
Advertisement