Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree Driveway

Options
  • 25-02-2019 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭

Hello, attached photos show mountain ash trees on driveway planted 4 years ago.

You will see from photos that each tree has split trunk low down.

I was wondering if I can remove smallest split trunk? To allow single trunk to grow taller/stronger to encourage tree to grow tall/neat on driveway.

Would that be too much trauma for trees?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,291 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, you should be able to do that ok, though it might encourage it to send out more side shoots, they should be nipped off while they are still tiny. Do it fairly soon before it starts into growth again. I have an idea they can be subject to silver leaf disease (I have very poor internet atm so can't check anything) I suggest you google and check up if that is the case. You may need to do some sort of disinfection of the scar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i haven't heard of silver leaf disease affecting rowans, it is usually associated with hard stone fruit trees IIRC.

however, my 2c is that pruning them in the way you want would leave them looking very spindly. it's not as it they're incredibly bushy at the top as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,291 ✭✭✭✭looksee

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/visiting-woods/trees-woods-and-wildlife/british-trees/native-trees/rowan/

Last point on that page - I have been doing a lot of reading about woodland trees recently and thought I had seen it somewhere. Agreed its probably not usual. Also agreed I probably would not take out one of the two branches on the first pic, but would take out the middle of the three in the second pic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Well I'd do something completely different :D

Branches like that will lead to problems later on, often you will get a bark included join which is weak and may rip off in a bad wind. On the other hand the more you remove from any tree the slower it will grow.

So my approach would be to shorten the side branches back by a third to stop them competing with the main leader and repeating the process as necessary until eventually I'd remove them altogether but that could be 2-5 years away.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Thanks to all above for sharing your advice - Appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

BTW I would not take out the middle of 3 because the scar would be liable to rot. Even if it does not rot, a forked tree is still liable to split in high winds.
    It looks like your trees may have been damaged by deer or something, at some stage, to grow like that?

I had a birch similar to your first picture and I took out one of 2 branches in one go. No problem to the tree. It gradually rebalanced itself growing in a slight s-bend, which I actually like the look of now. It has more character than a tree with a perfectly straight trunk. Think giant bonsai.

Advertisement