Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Zero electric bike unveiled today.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭NSAman

I'll take 2 please... not a harley lover... I dont have a pony tale and am not 200lbs overweight..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Electric bikes make a lot of sense, much more so than cars with one occupant and nearly two tons of stuff around them.
    I'd be very interested in seeing one of these in the flesh, the performance is pretty staggering even with the old Zero.
    €35 per year tax and zero VRT should soften the blow as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Electric bikes make a lot of sense, much more so than cars with one occupant and nearly two tons of stuff around them.
    I'd be very interested in seeing one of these in the flesh, the performance is pretty staggering even with the old Zero.
    €35 per year tax and zero VRT should soften the blow as well.

Tax is not really a consideration on bikes in all fairness. Lets hope fg dont change that.

I see no mention of electric motorcycle grants from SEAI, there is decent grants for electric cars so why not bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭traco

Electric bikes make perfect commuter sense but not at those prices. I test rode an early zero and was impressed but their pricing out of whack with usage and needs. They seem to be chasing the early adapter Tesla / iPhone X whatever / folding Samsung market rather than a mass market.

Its battery costs are insane, as taking $200 per kWH the 14.4 pack should cost $2,880. EV cells are moving closer to 100 per kWh today so that price is being kind to them in terms of costs.

Build a no frills 5/7k commuter machine that can do 150kms at 100kmh and they would corner the market

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Had a good look around these at the NEC show last year, lovely machine, but as above still a bit rich.
    I’m a commuter, and wouldn’t grab one in a heartbeat, but need to come down in price a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

thos wrote: »
    Had a good look around these at the NEC show last year, lovely machine, but as above still a bit rich.
    I’m a commuter, and wouldn’t grab one in a heartbeat, but need to come down in price a bit more.

Would ?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

listermint wrote: »
    Would ?

:)
    Doh, yes!

Nice looking bike, if it was cheaper I'd definitely be considering buying one. It probably wouldnt be the best for long spins down west cork though!

This is my point, if grants are available for e-cars, why not e-bikes?
    The grants are pretty good for cars up to 5k for over 20k cars so why not over 20k bikes?
    https://www.seai.ie/grants/electric-vehicle-grants/grant-amounts/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Nice looking bike, if it was cheaper I'd definitely be considering buying one. It probably wouldnt be the best for long spins down west cork though!

Over 300km range.... Why wouldnt it ? That would get you dublin to cork and a bit back too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭Alkers

CJhaughey wrote:
    This is my point, if grants are available for e-cars, why not e-bikes? The grants are pretty good for cars up to 5k for over 20k cars so why not over 20k bikes?

That site mentions vehicle not car, I reckon you will be able to get the grant but that it might be subject to zero themselves applying to the seai for them to be included as eligible vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭batman_oh

listermint wrote: »
    Over 300km range.... Why wouldnt it ? That would get you dublin to cork and a bit back too.

The quote from manufacturer is a single charge has the potential to deliver up to 200 miles at town speeds. I’d imagine at motorway speeds you’d be killing that quickly

Advertisement