Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment block insurance policy

Options
  • 25-02-2019 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi

When a complex is insured does the cover extend to cover public liability within the apartment itself?

If not how does one get cover?
    Contents insurance policies don't provide public liability.

Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Management company insurance normally includes public liability insurance for any parties visiting the complex. Anyone working in the complex- will require their own insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Joe222

I am specifically talking about within the unit itself - you have friends over, someone slips on a floor. You have a possible liability. How do you cover yourself? Contents insurance doesn't seem to offer cover.

Surely this is a common issue.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Joe222 wrote: »
    I am specifically talking about within the unit itself - you have friends over, someone slips on a floor. You have a possible liability. How do you cover yourself? Contents insurance doesn't seem to offer cover.

Surely this is a common issue.

No- its not a common issue.
    If someone slips on the floor in your house- and wants to sue you- they are suing you- not the management company. It is assumed that public liability insurance is not required in people's private homes, if for no other reason, the only people there are those who should be personally invited to be there by the householder. If you have friends who will sue you if they slip on your floor- I'd suggest 1) you're messy and 2) they're not friends.

But standard house insurance policies have public liability to protect the owner.

I think you are being a bit naive to think it isn't needed for an apartment owner.

How many people out there have various groups of people over at their place - a birthday party, visitors calling, workmen, a child minder, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

No- its not a common issue.
    If someone slips on the floor in your house- and wants to sue you- they are suing you- not the management company. It is assumed that public liability insurance is not required in people's private homes, if for no other reason, the only people there are those who should be personally invited to be there by the householder. If you have friends who will sue you if they slip on your floor- I'd suggest 1) you're messy and 2) they're not friends.

First half is spot on, second is simplistic in the extreme, you could get seriously injured anywhere, are you supposed to grin and bear it just because it happened on the premises of someone you know?

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    First half is spot on, second is simplistic in the extreme, you could get seriously injured anywhere, are you supposed to grin and bear it just because it happened on the premises of someone you know?

Remember the Mark Pollock case...one has to be careful.
    Is there not a policy out there for apt owners?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭FitzElla

Have you read your insurance policy? I just checked Liberty and Zurich and both offer public liability cover as part of their home contents insurance. Think this is a non issue.
    Public Liability. We cover damages that you are legally liable for, as either occupier of the buildings (but not as owner), or in your personal capacity anywhere in the Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Great Britain, Isle of Man, Channel Islands or elsewhere in the world in the course of a visit not planned to last more than 60 days in a row. We will pay up to €1,300,000 for any one event.

FitzElla wrote: »
    Have you read your insurance policy? I just checked Liberty and Zurich and both offer public liability cover as part of their home contents insurance. Think this is a non issue.

FBD don't provide occupiers' liability it seems.

FBD do offer it on home insurance policies but not on contents only policies.

Are you sure Liberty and Zurich offer it on contents only?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭FitzElla

Joe222 wrote: »
    FBD don't provide occupiers' liability it seems.

FBD do offer it on home insurance policies but not on contents only policies.

Are you sure Liberty and Zurich offer it on contents only?

Here is the link to Zurich's IPID document. And the relevant section:
    Contents cover includes:
    - Legal Liability as owner or occupier of the home for bodily injury to domestic employees.
    - Legal Liability as occupier of the home for bodily injury or loss of or damage to property.
    - Personal Legal Liability.

I would suggest calling them and confirming if you want a definite answer.

Advertisement