Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ribes sanguineum King Edward VII

Options
  • 25-02-2019 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Anyone know much about this plant?

I remember from childhood a distinct smell from my late grandparents garden. About 10 years ago I got the same smell passing a few gardens near my kids creche. I could never ever pinpoint exactly which garden it was coming from.

Until the other day , I passed that area again, and I found exactly which gardens and plant it was from.

I've searched online for the closest image to it that I could find, and Ribes sanguineum King Edward VII seems to be the closest !!

Does this plant smell almost musty or woody???

I will try add images later if possible that I took the other day of the plants.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭shashaela

Here is two images of the plant in question!

Image one

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

shashaela wrote: »
    Anyone know much about this plant?

I remember from childhood a distinct smell from my late grandparents garden. About 10 years ago I got the same smell passing a few gardens near my kids creche. I could never ever pinpoint exactly which garden it was coming from.

Until the other day , I passed that area again, and I found exactly which gardens and plant it was from.

I've searched online for the closest image to it that I could find, and Ribes sanguineum King Edward VII seems to be the closest !!

Does this plant smell almost musty or woody???

I will try add images later if possible that I took the other day of the plants.

All Ribes sanguineum have thats distinctive smell. Some even liken it to cats pee lol.
    Any good garden centre should have that or similar variety on sale.

Btw images not visible above

Please zoom in for a closer look

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭macraignil

Please zoom in for a closer look

No images in your post from what I can see.

My flowering current has just started to produce leaves so the flowers should be out soon. If you are planting one make sure they don't allow it dry out as this killed the first one I tried to grow in its first summer in my garden. They otherwise are fairly strong and resilient plants and do have a fairly distinctive smell.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I didnt realise the other messages even posted as I was attaching images with them but each time I was notified that the images were too large so I've got no way of now posting them up.

Its definetely not a cat pee smell, as I've often got that smell walking by other gardens, and its one smell that I absolutely hate lol

The only way I can describe the smell is like a woody or musty smell.

I will try again to perhaps crop my images and see if that works

Hope this works!

Looks like a flowering current to me alright but not sure on the variety. As posted above they should be available from most good garden centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Thud

Bees love them as an early season forage, very easy to take cuttings from in Autumn, cut a greenish twig, dip in rooting compound and stick them in the ground

• Advertisement

Thank you all for your help. I went back there today for a walk to take another look at the plant . surprisingly more flowers have bloomed. And opened up. Before I even got near to the plant I could smell that distinct woody/musty smell, but when close enough to it I found that its the leaves that give that scent, and the flowers do indeed give that cat pee smell !!!!! I've often got that pee smell from other plants, and I hate it, but I have to say today was the first time I noticed that pee smell, I went on a serious sniffing mission!!!!

Thank you again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I have one growing as a weed. I tried halfheartedly to kill it a few times, but it grows back.
    A fairly pointless plant, I'd have thought.
    Get proper blackcurrants instead.

recedite wrote: »
    I have one growing as a weed. I tried halfheartedly to kill it a few times, but it grows back.
    A fairly pointless plant, I'd have thought.
    Get proper blackcurrants instead.

The flowering currents have much better flowers than other current shrubs so for a show of early year colour in the garden they are a better choice than black currants in my opinion. Why not grow both or even add red currents to the garden as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,291 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I like the flowering currents for the display early in the year - they really benefit from being savagely cut down, the new growth will have much better flowers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

looksee wrote: »
    they really benefit from being savagely cut down
    Hmmm.. I can attest to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,291 ✭✭✭✭looksee

:D

Advertisement