Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Focus ST170 gearbox; where'd the oil go?

Options
  • 25-02-2019 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

I've had the driveshafts out of my MEV Rocket with Focus ST170 engine and MT285 (Getrag) gearbox, so the gearbox was drained of fluid. Car is currently not moving, as the brakes are being renewed/replaced, and I don't have a functioning set on either axles right now. Car also not yet road legal, long story.

Without checking how much oil it should take, and opening what looked like a filler plug at the top of the gearbox (MT285 filler top.png) I started to pour into the funnel. 1.5L, 2.0, 2.5, look at the floor of the garage to see where it's pouring out of, nothing, 3.0L, 4.0, 5.0 and the can I bought to do 2 cars is empty.
    I then look up the correct location for the filler plug, which is low down on the gearbox, I mistook this for the drain plug, which is in fact beside the torque mount.
    I worked the gearbox through the gears, making sure it got into everywhere it needed to be.
    Realising that I'd put far too much oil in, but unsure where, I open up the correct filler plug, and watched several litres drain slowly out, to my relief. At least the oil went into the same passages. I can't find any reference to this plug in eTIS though. The list of nut and bolt torques doesn't show a 3rd 'plug'. It takes a 19mm spanner, and has a ball on the end, not unlike the magnet you get in the oil sump plug of some cars.
    Is it an inspection hole? Where, that's bad, have I now soaked, for 10 minutes, with 75w90?

https://youtu.be/O7KYl7JGpYU

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The gearbox is usually splash fed I guess you just filled the housing right up, and when you drained it through the filler bung its found the correct level.
    I wouldn't worry about it tbh, there will be oil everywhere in that housing when its operating anyway.

Advertisement