Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Pill - What's Normal?

• 25-02-2019 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi all,

I'm a regular user but as so are a lot of my friends, I've gone incognito. If I shouldn't have started a new thread, please feel free to move it - it seems not exactly right to put it in the general trying to conceive chat, as I amn't!

My partner and I decided that this year we would try to have a child. Or, rather, not try to prevent conception, whilst perhaps not yet actively trying. I came off the pill at the end of 2018, and had a withdrawal bleed. 28 days later, my first period. I was rather chuffed (naively) as I had always been incredibly regular before the pill. I have really worried that it would take a long time for my cycle to return to normal.

Now, however, I'm waiting for the 2nd one, and it's nearly a week late. I suppose I was expecting this kind of delay, but am also slightly unsure of what to do. The past few days, I have been feeling pretty awful - lots of nausea, some dizzy spells. I've had very mild cramping since Saturday, but no sign of anything. None of these (bar the cramps) would have accompanied PMS before (even when not on the pill).

Is this all normal? That may seem like a totally stupid question, but I really have no idea.

Any advice at all would be most welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭ainy

With your period being a week late and having cramping and other symptoms, I would suggest doing a pregnancy test, you may be pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Odette22Odile

ainy wrote: »
    With your period being a week late and having cramping and other symptoms, I would suggest doing a pregnancy test, you may be pregnant.

Thanks Ainy - I was thinking that it could be a possibility, but didn't want to jump to that if what I was experiencing was totally normal for someone just off the pill... Thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Thanks Ainy - I was thinking that it could be a possibility, but didn't want to jump to that if what I was experiencing was totally normal for someone just off the pill... Thank you!

Do a test, I came off pill in August, had regular period in Sept and was pregnant with now almost 8 year old by October.

I had expected my body to take at least 6 months or so to get back to normal so was t expecting to conceive quite so quickly so was delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭homosapien91

Glad I came across this, planning to come off the pill myself as hoping 2020 will be our year so was going to come off it middle of this year thinking my body would take around 6 months to adjust but will leave it till the end of the year now!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,901 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

+1 for taking a test. Early pregnancy symptoms are really like PMS.

Conversely though, I had to come off the pill years ago for surgery, and I remember I had my withdrawal bleed, then a regular period, but the second period was about 6 weeks late, and they went really irregular for a while afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Take a test just to be sure but while your first one might have been bang on time, no guarantee your next will be. I came off the pill the start of last year and my cycle went a bit all over the place after the first one. I used an app to track it so that I could have some idea and it would adjust each month I entered information as to when to expect next period. Was in the same boat as you as would have been very regular before being on the pill and was not actively trying but doing nothing to stop it - now I'm 6 months gone lol!

Thanks so muchfor all the advice! Consensus seems to be a test, just to be on the safe side - that’s definitely sensible! Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

It could be your cycle regulating also. I had 40-56 day cycles for 9 months after coming off the pill.

It could be your cycle regulating also. I had 40-56 day cycles for 9 months after coming off the pill.

To be honest, I thought this could be the most likely reason - I’m just surprised I feel so rough at the same time.

To be honest, I thought this could be the most likely reason - I’m just surprised I feel so rough at the same time.

Did you take a test?

• Advertisement

Did you take a test?

No - I had to work late, and the “late night” chemist on the way home was shut! Going to pop to another tomorrow morning.

No - I had to work late, and the “late night” chemist on the way home was shut! Going to pop to another tomorrow morning.

Good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭starlady1

Glad I came across this, planning to come off the pill myself as hoping 2020 will be our year so was going to come off it middle of this year thinking my body would take around 6 months to adjust but will leave it till the end of the year now!

Please don't assume it won't take your body time to adjust after coming off the pill. When I stopped taking it, my cycles were irregular for over a year afterwards. I would have a period and then went months not having any. Everyone is different, you could go back to regular cycles right away or it could take over a year I know people who have been on both ends of the scale. Best of luck talk to your GP for further advice.

Advertisement