Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bolting Rabbits to Shotgun

Options
  • 24-02-2019 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Lads,

Is there anyone left in the country that still enjoys sending their dogs into ditches to bolt rabbits for the shotgun?

It seems any lads I ask seem to throw their noses up to this practice.

Would be interested in hearing if anyone still practices this sport?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I shot bolted rabbits using ferrets before, but haven't had the opportunity to do it for a good few years.
    Great crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 midland_pat

I shot bolted rabbits using ferrets before, but haven't had the opportunity to do it for a good few years.
    Great crack.

Yes, it seems that the old bunnies can be scarce some years depending on myxi and rabbit haemoragic disease! Anyway I think It’s great craic and IMO it’s a great way to keep yourself and your dog sharp over the summer ahead of any game season!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Yes, it seems that the old bunnies can be scarce some years! It’s great craic and I think it’s a great way to keep your yourself and your dog sharp over the summer ahead of any game season!

Normally most lads don’t ferret in the summer time. Whether it’s to nets or awaiting guns.
    I know rabbits breed most of the year now. So lots are too easy for a ferret to
    Kill and stay down. And it’s harder to dig in ditches or net ditches when the horse and shrub is too overgrown. October November is perfect. Cold kills off most of the shrub

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭J.R.

I haven't done it for years.......rabbits scarce

I did a lot of it when I first got a shotgun - was the most enjoyable form of hunting - I remember it well with fond memories - that and the Sunday fox hunt.

Normally most lads don’t ferret in the summer time. Whether it’s to nets or awaiting guns.
    I know rabbits breed most of the year now. So lots are too easy for a ferret to
    Kill and stay down. And it’s harder to dig in ditches or net ditches when the horse and shrub is too overgrown. October November is perfect. Cold kills off most of the shrub

I’ve never used ferrets myself but have a new springer that will be ripe for it come mid summer! I said it to a few lads around my way to see if they would be interested in getting a few rabbit shoots going and they looked at me as if I had asked them to step into a bucket of muck!

My father alway said you should only shoot rabbits when there is a R in the month so no shooting them in May June July and August!😌 I guess it gives them a chance to breed their young. Maybe I should listen to him😀.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I’ve never used ferrets myself but have a new springer that will be ripe for it come mid summer! I said it to a few lads around my way to see if they would be interested in getting a few rabbit shoots going and they looked at me as if I had asked them to step into a bucket of muck!

My father alway said you should only shoot rabbits when there is a R in the month so no shooting them in May June July and August!😌 I guess it gives them a chance to breed their young. Maybe I should listen to him😀.

That was the old expression but problem is rabbits are breeding nearly all year round. I’ve shot them in January and they’ve had kits inside them. Not pleasant. Ferreted in November and dig out babies that were less than few weeks old.

That was the old expression but problem is rabbits are breeding nearly all year round. I’ve shot them in January and they’ve had kits inside them. Not pleasant. Ferreted in November and dig out babies that were less than few weeks old.

That’s a fact! There seems to be no consistency in seasons for them anymore. Anyway, was just interested to see if anyone still practices with the shotgun during the off season on rabbits?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Bigman420

Do it with the ferrets. It's great enjoyment and keeps the skill level up on the shotgun

• Registered Users Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

As long as you're all having fun killing things thats all that matters.

The more terrified they are the better. Way more fun to shoot a bolting animal than one you have to stalk yourself.

Way more skilful to have dogs or ferrets find and flush them out too.

Its an awful pity there are fewer of them to kill this year. Must be all that disease.

What gun do you use?

I use the best available gun. The one that makes it easiest for me to kill more with less thought or practice or effort. That makes me an extra good hunter, spending the most money on the things that make killing easier is how nature best intends pest control

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Feeling better now, Akrasia?
    ��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Feeling better now, Akrasia?
    ��

A little

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

What gun do you use?

I use the best available gun. The one that makes it easiest for me to kill more with less thought or practice or effort. That makes me an extra good hunter, spending the most money on the things that make killing easier is how nature best intends pest control

Thanks, that has just cheered me up no end. Is this the only time mammy lets you on the computer.
    To answer your question I like to use the biggest military looking 50 cal all black evil looking yoke with some death ray night vision attachment complete with some heat seeking grenades for the ones that are stubborn. I also like to dress up in some special forces camo and war paint.
    Please ye lot really need to get a grip on how the REAL world actually works.
    In reality you are more often than not in the presence of someone involved in field sports and you dont even know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cadpat_cowboy

solarwinds wrote: »
    In reality you are more often than not in the presence of someone involved in field sports and you dont even know it.

This is very true, started working in retail last year small enough wicklow town the amount of lads that have the yellow fun slip in the wallets is quite high.

Advertisement