Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shredding cardboard

Options
  • 24-02-2019 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭

Anyone recommend a shredder/mulcher that works with cardboard?
    Tried a standard garden shredder and it jammed pretty quickly.
    Brown boxes from deliveries etc to be converted to compost. Doing it by hand is a little onerous after a while.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If it's of any use to you, I just rip the boxes in large chunks and stick them in the compost bin as they are, then I cover them with fruit and vegetable scraps or bits of cut grass - the humidity is more than enough to break the cardboard down.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

New Home wrote: »
    If it's of any use to you, I just rip the boxes in large chunks and stick them in the compost bin as they are, then I cover them with fruit and vegetable scraps or bits of cut grass - the humidity is more than enough to break the cardboard down.

Interesting. Any idea if most paper reasonably compostable or does the bleach and any other chemicals used in processing a toxin? Only cardboard I currently use this way is as a weed break on raised beds, where I put a couple of layers of cardboard down over the winter with a thin layer of soil on top.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I wouldn't use coloured paper, or paper with oil-based inks (like newspapers), or colour prints, or empty pizza boxes (which, apparently, have been treated to be non-stick) but plain brown "undulated" cardboard is grand, and so is "pulp" grey cardboard. I only use larger boxes that may not fit in the recycling bin, though, it's still much better to recycle as much as you can, especially if it's high quality brown cardboard with a high cellulose content (it looks much smoother).

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

All my cardboard goes down on beds, although in the competition between online shopping and gardening, shopping is currently running a fair bit ahead. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Lumen wrote: »
    All my cardboard goes down on beds, although in the competition between online shopping and gardening, shopping is currently running a fair bit ahead. :rolleyes:
    I read that cardboard mulch on top of soil disimproves oxygen within it. The reqson you might find a lot of worms near the top with such a setup is like when it rains - they are coming uo for air. Dunno if this is accurate or not.

• Advertisement

It is useful to know that big chunks will work, thanks.

I thought they were coming up to eat and because of the dampness. It's pure cellulose, AFAIK, so it shouldn't be much different to leaves, etc.

I think they control weeds because they cut off the light.

I read that cardboard mulch on top of soil disimproves oxygen within it. The reqson you might find a lot of worms near the top with such a setup is like when it rains - they are coming uo for air. Dunno if this is accurate or not.
    Yeah, but I don't think there's any way of stopping weeds (other than outcompeting them with ground cover plants) that doesn't make make growing conditions worse, since that's the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,129 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Make a rough bench with heavy (3/4'' Ply) top and get a good machete and chop it up first for the compost bin. Good Saturday morning workout!

Make a rough bench with heavy (3/4'' Ply) top and get a good machete and chop it up first for the compost bin. Good Saturday morning workout!
    Interesting idea though plywood dust isn’t good to inhale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,129 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Interesting idea though plywood dust isn’t good to inhale

No dust at all. And you might be thinking of MDF. A large tree block would do as well.

Anyone use a domestic paper shredder for this? Or find a cardboard shredder suitable for domestic use?

Anyone use a domestic paper shredder for this? Or find a cardboard shredder suitable for domestic use?

Yes. I have a couple of office paper shredders and used them to create bedding for the chickens. The cheap one was useless and the expensive one was OK.

Lumen wrote: »
    Yes. I have a couple of office paper shredders and used them to create bedding for the chickens. The cheap one was useless and the expensive one was OK.
    Cool thanks. Do you know the model? How many sheets of paper is it specced for?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭secman

Best way I find to break up cardboard for the compost bin is literally to leave it out in the rain, when it's properly soggy, it tears quite easily and then as its damp anyways perfect for the compost bin. Simples and works every time no matter how heavy gauge it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Don't worry about modern inks used in non glossy packaging they are all biodegradable. Even the bleach for newsprint is fine.

Cool thanks. Do you know the model? How many sheets of paper is it specced for?

The crap one was a 6-sheet Fellowes H6-C.

The better one was a 10-sheet Fellowes PS80C-2.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

I thought they were coming up to eat and because of the dampness. It's pure cellulose, AFAIK, so it shouldn't be much different to leaves, etc.

I think they control weeds because they cut off the light.
    They're coming up to eat the wet, decomposing cardboard. Meanwhile the cardboard is preventing weeds by cutting off the light, until you are ready to dig it in and start planting.

Advertisement