Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor gave incorrect advice regarding abortion tablets

Options
  • 23-02-2019 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,

I have a previous thread recently about my partner and I having an abortion.

We met with the doctor,waited the 72 hours and he have the medication to have the procedure at home, however he told her how to take them incorrectly and my partner took the second medications 1st and the first 2nd. Nothing happened to me partner other than nausea etc

We rang my options to confirm had she taken the medication correctly by providing the names and they said that's not how it's supposed to be taken and upon further inspections of the instructions on the leaflet its confirms what they said.

As you can imagine this is an extremely stressful time so she took the doctors word and advice and we now have to wait until Monday to see the doctor again who will most likely refer her to hospital as she is over 9 weeks now.

I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking other than venting but would appreciate any encouraging advice.

I'm quite furious as the doctor has put my partner's health at risk by his misconduct

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭joeguevara

<SNIP>

Firstly I hope your partner and yourself are ok. Must be such a traumatic time for both of you firstly for the original decision to have a termination which could not have been easy and secondly the fact that it didn’t go to plan.

Make sure she seeks medical advice and treatment to ensure she is ok and everything both physically and emotionally are ok.

With your issue with the Doctor, were the instructions re medication clearly outlined in writing. Is there a lack of duty of care by allowing a person with no medical training and in a vulnerable position have control over the procedure with the possibility of it going wrong.

If you take it further the above will be integral to any case. Are there clear written procedures on this. Is there a possibility (not saying it happened) that the doctor discharged their responsibility it it was an error of your partner. These are the questions you need to think about before moving forward.

Seek clarification from a new doctor and any agency. I hope you get the answers you deserve. Remember not to focus too much on this to the detriment of caring for each other. Feel for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lunamoon

Did the pharmacist not direct you how to take them?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Barkwoofello

joeguevara wrote: »
    <SNIP>

Firstly I hope your partner and yourself are ok. Must be such a traumatic time for both of you firstly for the original decision to have a termination which could not have been easy and secondly the fact that it didn’t go to plan.

Make sure she seeks medical advice and treatment to ensure she is ok and everything both physically and emotionally are ok.

With your issue with the Doctor, were the instructions re medication clearly outlined in writing. Is there a lack of duty of care by allowing a person with no medical training and in a vulnerable position have control over the procedure with the possibility of it going wrong.

If you take it further the above will be integral to any case. Are there clear written procedures on this. Is there a possibility (not saying it happened) that the doctor discharged their responsibility it it was an error of your partner. These are the questions you need to think about before moving forward.

Seek clarification from a new doctor and any agency. I hope you get the answers you deserve. Remember not to focus too much on this to the detriment of caring for each other. Feel for you.

Thanks for your reply, yes I am monitoring her, the my options phone number advised theres nothing they can do and we must see the GP again on Monday.

Regarding the issue, the GP labelled the boxs as 1 and 2, 1 to be taken first and then 2 to be taken 48 hours later but unfortunately put them in the wrong order meaning she took the medication that was supposed to be second first and the one that was supposed to be first second. I rang the my options after reading the instruction, researching online and they confirmed they names of the medications and what order they are be taken in and it was wrong which is the doctors error.

She is currently ok but very worried as am I,I'm just doing my best to be there for her.

lunamoon wrote: »
    Did the pharmacist not direct you how to take them?

Pharmacists do not provide these medications to have a termination, the GP did but advised and labelled the boxs incorrectly.

• Administrators Posts: 13,816 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I know it might seem like an obvious thing now, but why did you/your gf only read the instructions after she had taken both tablets. 48 hours apart.

The doctor seems to have made a genuine error. Unfortunately it does happen. If you are worried about your gf in any way you do not need to wait until Monday. Your GF can go to an out of hours GP service for advice and to be checked or if you think there is something wrong you can present at your local emergency department to be checked over.

• Advertisement

I know it might seem like an obvious thing now, but why did you/your gf only read the instructions after she had taken both tablets. 48 hours apart.

The doctor seems to have made a genuine error. Unfortunately it does happen. If you are worried about your gf in any way you do not need to wait until Monday. Your GF can go to an out of hours GP service for advice and to be checked or if you think there is something wrong you can present at your local emergency department to be checked over.

She didnt read them because the doctor went through it with her in detail that this is the first you take and then this is the second etc and then wrote it down on each box, she unfortunately trusted that the GP knew what he was talking about. The names are similar but they are both different medications that have different effect but need to be taken in the right order or it doesn't work. Hopefully this hasnt happened to someone else with this GP

Regarding the second part thanks, we rang my options and they've said unless theres any serious complications where she will need to go to A+E we will have to wait to see the original GP.

This has been the most stressful event of our lives and it's just continues to be prolonged by this error and the wait we have to do again

Thanks for your reply

• Administrators Posts: 13,816 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

But what made you think something had gone wrong in the first place that made you check that she had taken them right? There was 48 hours between the first and second tablet. I completely understand how stressful this must be for you, and absolutely agree unless there is something particular that is bothering you about her condition then there is no need to go to out of hours GP or ED.

I hope she'll be OK. It can't be easy on her.

But what made you think something had gone wrong in the first place that made you check that she had taken them right? There was 48 hours between the first and second tablet. I completely understand how stressful this must be for you, and absolutely agree unless there is something particular that is bothering you about her condition then there is no need to go to out of hours GP or ED.

I hope she'll be OK. It can't be easy on her.

We were advised that after she took the second that the termination would begin within 6 hours but usually 2. 12 hours later nothing had happened so I investigsted further and found that mistake,contacted my options and they confirmed it.

Thanks for your concern, like I said I'm not sure what i want from this thread,maybe just to vent and get it off my chest,I don't want to worry her any further with my problems, its hard enough for her as it is and she needs me to be her support

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I think all you can do for now, is keep an eye on your partner, and take it a few hours at a time. Monday is not that long away now, hopefully you can be seen swiftly and get the treatment you need. I wish you both the best.

And I hope my options or somebody else in the HSE makes sure that Dr gets more training.

Take care and mind yourself. It will soon be all over x

• Registered Users Posts: 13,075 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

If you have any concerns or she shows any adverse signs ring the out of hours doctor.
    Best of luck.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

Ordinarily the first pill cuts off the nutrient supply to the embryo so it stops growing. The second starts uterus contractions to expell the now unviable embryo.

So what's likely is the embryo has stopped growing but without contractions it can't be expelled straight away. She could develop an infection if it's not expelled. She may have to go for a D&C, the same as after a natural miscarriage.

Personally I wouldn't be going back to your current GP. They've proven themselves to be incompetant at best, a dangerous liability at worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭zapper55

Op the "care" your girlfriend has received has been horrific. I'd suggest you ring the myoptions.ie helpline and ask for a doctor's recommendation. She has been let down by two doctors already.

I hope you are both doing ok

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

Firstly, I'm so sorry for the situation you find yourselves in and can imagine the worry and stress this has added to your already difficult circumstances.

Secondly, as a previous poster has already mentioned, there could be a risk of infection etc needing a D&C or other further care.

If it was me I would either go to one of the maternity hospitals or a Well Woman Clinic, absolutely not the GP who mixed up her medications. Is the GP aware of the mix-up?

I hope your wife is ok, and gets seen ASAP. She deserves a lot more care by a doctor than being told to return to the GP in a few days' time. Mind yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Sounds like human error as opposed to 'horrific care'. Mistakes happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OP - I recommend seeking further medical opinion here. I don’t think PI is the appropriate place for advice on this topic.

Wishing both of you the best of luck

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement