Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Old Mac

• 23-02-2019 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi,

So my niece wanted a mac for Christmas that she saw on pigsback. It was €180. I told them it probably would be crap and that I know nothing about macs so she would be better off not to get it. I always get caught to set everything up or fix things. And here I am...

So I got it a few nights ago and It's very confusing! She wants netflix and youtube which i have sorted through safari. Also wants facetime and messaging. This is my problem. I cannot log into the app store. It is running old OS so no matter what i do i can't do it.

When i click on about my mac it says MAC OS X Version 10.7.5. As far as i can see that is lion and if i needed to get to mojave i would have to get El Capitan first but again no way can i get her connected to The App store. Is it just too old? Am i wasting my time here? I've tried logging in through her old icloud account. Tried to set up a new icloud account and keeps saying cannot connect to server. Kinda going a bit insane from it. I'm tempted to bring it down to the computer repair shop and just see could they upgrade it. I'd pay for it myself at this stage not to have to deal with it!

If anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

ZeroCool17 wrote: »
    Hi,

So my niece wanted a mac for Christmas that she saw on pigsback. It was €180. I told them it probably would be crap and that I know nothing about macs so she would be better off not to get it. I always get caught to set everything up or fix things. And here I am...

So I got it a few nights ago and It's very confusing! She wants netflix and youtube which i have sorted through safari. Also wants facetime and messaging. This is my problem. I cannot log into the app store. It is running old OS so no matter what i do i can't do it.

When i click on about my mac it says MAC OS X Version 10.7.5. As far as i can see that is lion and if i needed to get to mojave i would have to get El Capitan first but again no way can i get her connected to The App store. Is it just too old? Am i wasting my time here? I've tried logging in through her old icloud account. Tried to set up a new icloud account and keeps saying cannot connect to server. Kinda going a bit insane from it. I'm tempted to bring it down to the computer repair shop and just see could they upgrade it. I'd pay for it myself at this stage not to have to deal with it!

If anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated!

Here’s an apple support article on how to upgrade from Lion to High High Sierra, it also includes a link to the App Store where you can download it.

https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT208969

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

10.7 is quite old, in About This Mac what are the specs of it ? CPU, RAM etc. ? It might not be capable of running Mojave.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ZeroCool17

ZENER wrote: »
    10.7 is quite old, in About This Mac what are the specs of it ? CPU, RAM etc. ? It might not be capable of running Mojave.

Ken

It says MacBook 13 inch Early 2008

Processor 2.4GHz Intel Core Duo
    Memory 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    Graphics Intel GMA X3100 144 MB
    Hard drive 160GB ----146GB Free

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

These were decade old units sold as refurbished. Can't be updated any further, fit for WEEE only

Yeah I think you bought a lemon. Mojave’s min spec is a 2012 or newer system with minimum Intel HD4000 graphics.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS_Mojave

Ken

• Advertisement

Thanks a million for the replies. Saves me wasting my time trying to fix it. She can use it for Netflix and YouTube so hopefully she'll be happy with that.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

You might be able to install El Cap on that with a hack but you'd get terrible performance from the GPU so it wouldn't be worth it. Unfortunately you've been sold a dud there! Could probably do better with Linux on it, honestly!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Surely Facetime should still work? My 2009 MacBook could still run it on Snow Leopard (moved to El Capitan now).

I just can't seem to get anywhere with it. I gave it back to her and she will use it for Netflix and Youtube. I'll leave it at that. Maybe for next Christmas I'll try and find something reasonable for her. She just dreams of a mac but they struggle with money so refurbished is the only way really.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 melchior1951

Why don't you install Linux on it? That could give the MacBook another couple of years.

• Advertisement

While Linux is great for the clued in enthusiasts I doubt a youngster who wants FaceTime and Netflix is going to warm to it.

Ken

ZENER wrote: »
    While Linux is great for the clued in enthusiasts I doubt a youngster who wants FaceTime and Netflix is going to warm to it.

Ken

Facetime no, Netflix yes. You'd at least get up-to-date software, but obviously Linux has its challenges.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭QuadaLumpins

The MBA I still use everyday had the following original specs:

MacBook Pro 13" mid-2009
    Processor 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256MB

... which is not a million miles away from your machine. It was slow and had some of the problems you describe. Then I did the following:

1. Install an SSD. these are getting cheaper, and there was a very good boards BA a few days ago for an SSD that would fit https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057956567 for 28euro. Takes the proper screwdrivers and 15 minutes.
    2 - Memory: 8GB should be perfect for your machine.
    3 - Battery: will probably be rubbish, but a newer one might not give huge improvement. I didn't bother, and get an hour or more depending on what I'm doing.
    4 - Run High Sierra if possible.

I know its not your machine, but if you are willing to spend 30'ish euro and give this a morning of your time then you'll have a cracking machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

This video also may give you a few ideas if you are in anyway tech savvy...

The MBA I still use everyday had the following original specs:

MacBook Pro 13" mid-2009
    Processor 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256MB

... which is not a million miles away from your machine. It was slow and had some of the problems you describe. Then I did the following:

1. Install an SSD. these are getting cheaper, and there was a very good boards BA a few days ago for an SSD that would fit https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057956567 for 28euro. Takes the proper screwdrivers and 15 minutes.
    2 - Memory: 8GB should be perfect for your machine.
    3 - Battery: will probably be rubbish, but a newer one might not give huge improvement. I didn't bother, and get an hour or more depending on what I'm doing.
    4 - Run High Sierra if possible.

I know its not your machine, but if you are willing to spend 30'ish euro and give this a morning of your time then you'll have a cracking machine.

It seems to me that the main issue facing the OP with that machine would be the graphics chip. You can mod the current MacOS releases to run on older hardware - but, the GPU that the OP has in that MacBook wouldn't provide any graphics acceleration with a modern MacOS, and would be pretty much unusable. That's why they're stuck on Lion, whereas you can upgrade yours a lot higher than that due to your Nvidia chip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Low end Mac on face book is a great resource on Facebook.

Advertisement