Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irrigation Timer

Options
  • 22-02-2019 10:02pm

Some advice please

Looking at setting up a drip irrigation system (about 100m) for my polytunnel. Id like to create an automated system that will water the plants itself.

Ive looked at the Hozelock types but there are numerous reviews saying that they are poor quality, do not last and do not work properly.

Has anyone any experience of using any of these units?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi,

Why do you want to lose the pleasure of watering the plants … yourself !?

Kidding, im looking for a system myself for my greenhouse.

Plan to drive next week H E R E and check those systems.
    Not sure which one will buy, maybe both, one for big plants and other for smaller,normal rooted vegies.

What do you have in mind !?

Im putting in raised beds into the polytunnel and am going to set up an irrigation system using the perforated hose pipe to run along the beds.

Need a timer to take the pleasure out of it ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I did exactly this job last year, I used the Hozelock timer, the other components I got online. Worked perfectly all season long, no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Lidl and Aldi sell a very affordable irrigation timer and perforated hoses every year, around this time. I got mine, from Lidl, I think, about four years ago and it's still going strong.
    Getting your head around the programming instructions is the only problem, and once you have cracked it, write down your own supplementary notes for next time. Also, like all battery operated items, take out the batteries when not in use, in case they leak, and start each season with fresh ones, so that it doesn't let you down when you're away on holidays etc.

I went with this one in the end

41wnQnTin6L.jpg

It had decent reviews and was cheap. The Hozelock ones were getting poor reviews so Ill see how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I ordered a kit based around this baby here .

I'll up few pictures later once weather gets on my side...

Enjoy it.

474277.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

There is another way of doing this. You need a water source (water butt or tank filled off the mains with a ballcock) a pump and a timer. You just set the timer to switch the pump on. The real advantage of this is that you can use it for watering say Rhododendrons where you may not want to use tap water and can use it to water from lime free water from a water butt.

my3cents wrote: »
    There is another way of doing this. You need a water source (water butt or tank filled off the mains with a ballcock) a pump and a timer. You just set the timer to switch the pump on. The real advantage of this is that you can use it for watering say Rhododendrons where you may not want to use tap water and can use it to water from lime free water from a water butt.

The water for my garden veggies and polytunnel comes from 3 IBC tanks (1000L each) that is connected to a water pump and then distributed to various taps around the growing area. The pump only comes on when the main tap from the tanks is turned on.
    I plan to place the timer on this main tap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

rolion wrote: »
    I ordered a kit based around this baby here .

I'll up few pictures later once weather gets on my side...

Enjoy it.

474277.jpg

That looks cool. Is it triggered by a moisture sensor you stick in the ground, or is it just timed? Description isn't clear in the link.

Advertisement