Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women 10 Round Numbers 2019

Options
  • 22-02-2019 12:55pm
    #1
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭


    Women, anyone want to try this this year?

    Here's last year's. Hope we get a few more women and a few more numbers this year :)

    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107481473


    Name|400m<70 secs|800m<3min|1 mile<6 min|3k<12min|5k<20min|5mile<35min|10k<40m|10miles<70min|Half Marathon<100mins|Marathon<200min

    HelenAnnel ||||||33:50||||
    ||| |||| |||



    That 5-mile time is from the Raheny 5 this year.


«1

Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne


    Any other takers??

    I had a bash at the 5k this morning (well, not really - I tried hard at a 5k, but I'm not really sub-20 fast at the moment). 20.34, so hopefully by the summer I might put that one on the table too.

    Anyone care to join me on the table *lure lure lure* (I'd like some company!) :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG


    I'd love to but not sure I'm capable of those times ðŸ˜


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne


    ReeReeG wrote: »
    I'd love to but not sure I'm capable of those times ðŸ˜

    I bet you are! I'd always encourage people to start with the 5 mile (it's the easiest, that's why I always manage it :))

    As an aside though - I can't even remember who set the times. The table has been going since long before I was on boards. I wonder - in the interests of participation - is it worth some of us women on boards having a discussion about a new set of numbers to aim for? The table is meant to be challenging, but achievable, so maybe the numbers need tweaking. What round numbers would you try for across the distances? Dream times for you?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG


    HelenAnne wrote:
    As an aside though - I can't even remember who set the times. The table has been going since long before I was on boards. I wonder - in the interests of participation - is it worth some of us women on boards having a discussion about a new set of numbers to aim for? The table is meant to be challenging, but achievable, so maybe the numbers need tweaking. What round numbers would you try for across the distances? Dream times for you?


    Yeah I did wonder about some of them. For example, there are a lot of quite strong women in my meet and train group but I can honestly only think of one whose broken 1.30 for a HM. I'd imagine 1.35 or 1.40 is a better target maybe?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG


    ReeReeG wrote:
    Yeah I did wonder about some of them. For example, there are a lot of quite strong women in my meet and train group but I can honestly only think of one whose broken 1.30 for a HM. I'd imagine 1.35 or 1.40 is a better target maybe?


    Oh wait I'm bad at maths...100 mins is 1.40 hahahaha


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne


    ReeReeG wrote: »
    Oh wait I'm bad at maths...100 mins is 1.40 hahahaha

    :)

    The half is one of the easier ones, I think. I think (and this probably just reflects my own running weaknesses) that the 40 minute 10k & 70 minute 10 mile are the hardest.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG


    HelenAnne wrote:
    The half is one of the easier ones, I think. I think (and this probably just reflects my own running weaknesses) that the 40 minute 10k & 70 minute 10 mile are the hardest.


    Yeah maybe adding a couple of minutes to those would see some people adding to the table...would that still be a round number :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D


    I remember some discussion of this in the past, about the women’s times being relatively more difficult than the times in the general Round Numbers table. The 5k and Marathon times are certainly much harder than the ‘male’ equivalents. A different set was proposed - still very challenging but a fairer comparison. Maybe it was shot down because the numbers weren’t ‘round’ enough?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne


    Murph_D wrote: »
    I remember some discussion of this in the past, about the women’s times being relatively more difficult than the times in the general Round Numbers table. The 5k and Marathon times are certainly much harder than the ‘male’ equivalents. A different set was proposed - still very challenging but a fairer comparison. Maybe it was shot down because the numbers weren’t ‘round’ enough?

    Oh, maybe I'll try to find that table ... BUT if the tables are made by the Mods, or if anyone is very attached to the old ones, I certainly don't want to start a boards.ie kerfuffle :) about it. It's just that a few years ago we had loads of activity on the table and it was fun and motivating. If making some of the numbers more achievable would put more names on the table, I'd be all for it.

    Mods, who should I clear making changes to the table with?
    Murph_D wrote: »
    The 5k and Marathon times are certainly much harder than the ‘male’ equivalents.

    (Personally I'd like to keep the 20 min 5k, because if we make it sub-21 I've already done that loads of times, but if others would like to aim for 21 or 22 that's fine by me. :))


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D




  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG


    HelenAnne wrote:
    (Personally I'd like to keep the 20 min 5k, because if we make it sub-21 I've already done that loads of times, but if others would like to aim for 21 or 22 that's fine by me. )


    I think a lot of us female folk on here aspire to your times HA so I'd be all for using what you think as a guideline!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo


    Murph_D wrote: »
    I remember some discussion of this in the past, about the women’s times being relatively more difficult than the times in the general Round Numbers table. The 5k and Marathon times are certainly much harder than the ‘male’ equivalents. A different set was proposed - still very challenging but a fairer comparison. Maybe it was shot down because the numbers weren’t ‘round’ enough?

    It never ends well. Like the year the Novice, intermediate and advanced tables were added and the forum nearly imploded. I'd disagree that the womens table is more difficult than the mens though. A fairly good rule of men's to womens times is 10%

    The Women's 400 is easier
    The 800 is easier
    The mile is easier
    The 3k is easier
    The 5k is harder
    The 10k is harder
    The 10 mile is easier
    The half is about equal
    The marathon is about equal

    The 10k and5k might be harder than the mens but the mens table also has one much harder than the womens as well like the 10 mile, the 3k, the mile, the 800m and the 400m.

    I think it all balances out really. Some targets are hard, some are easier and some are in between. I'm not really bothered what people decide to do with it as it has no effect on me but I'm a stats geek and can't help myself from comparisons.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D


    El CabaIIo wrote: »
    It never ends well. Like the year the Novice, intermediate and advanced tables were added and the forum nearly imploded. I'd disagree that the womens table is more difficult than the mens though. A fairly good rule of men's to womens times is 10%

    The Women's 400 is easier
    The 800 is easier
    The mile is easier
    The 3k is easier
    The 5k is harder
    The 10k is harder
    The 10 mile is easier
    The half is about equal
    The marathon is about equal

    The 10k and5k might be harder than the mens but the mens table also has one much harder than the womens as well like the 10 mile, the 3k, the mile, the 800m and the 400m.

    I think it all balances out really. Some targets are hard, some are easier and some are in between. I'm not really bothered what people decide to do with it as it has no effect on me but I'm a stats geek and can't help myself from comparisons.

    Don’t get me wrong - I’m just pointing out that there’s been discussion of this in the past that might be worth revisiting.

    The philosophy behind the numbers was supposed to be ‘challenging but achievable’. There’s now 5 or 6 years of tables to look back on and assess how achievable those numbers turned out to be.

    The ‘b’ grade table a few years ago was pretty much boycotted, and rightly so (not because of the numbers though!)


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne


    OK, maybe we should just leave it so. My main aim for this year is the sub-20 5k, and if I manage that I can put it in on the men's table.

    We can always come back to the women's table when more people are keen to do it. I was just floating the idea of changing it ... didn't realise it had been mentioned before.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative


    HelenAnne wrote: »
    OK, maybe we should just leave it so. My main aim for this year is the sub-20 5k, and if I manage that I can put it in on the men's table.

    We can always come back to the women's table when more people are keen to do it. I was just floating the idea of changing it ... didn't realise it had been mentioned before.

    Say it’s up to ye ladies to change it though, as RGG has said, many aspire to run as fast yourself. Come up with times that feel challengeable & stick with them?


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D


    I doubt if there’s anything in the forum charter to prevent anyone creating a new thread based on a new set of numbers, if that’s what they want to do. Go for it. It took me 5 years to make the table myself, mind, and only in two categories. I must say it was motivational though, so it’s good to have genuinely challenging (but achievable, with work and effort) milestone times.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG


    Murph_D wrote:
    I doubt if there’s anything in the forum charter to prevent anyone creating a new thread based on a new set of numbers, if that’s what they want to do. Go for it. It took me 5 years to make the table myself, mind, and only in two categories. I must say it was motivational though, so it’s good to have genuinely challenging (but achievable, with work and effort) milestone times.


    Yeah in fairness I would LOVE some of those times on the table, and if it takes me a few more years, then so be it. It is motivating, and would be an extra reward to get my name up there.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`


    Those times seem insanely fast to me and right now it's very hard to imagine ever getting my name on the table but at the same time it's something to aim for and I don't think there'd be the same satisfaction knowing the numbers had been diluted over the years. We have a few ladies coming through the ranks here who i think are well capable of getting their names on it without lowering the bar so i think we should leave it. But that's just my opinion fwiw :)


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne


    Ok! Let’s leave it so. Good to get a bit of discussion going anyway. Thanks all!


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`


    HelenAnne wrote: »
    Ok! Let’s leave it so. Good to get a bit of discussion going anyway. Thanks all!

    I'm happy to leave it open for discussion if others want to weigh in. It seems you are in a league of your own at the moment but hopefully not forever! I don't know why but the 100 min HM seems the most doable to me so maybe i'll make that a target for 2020 :)

    By the way do you happen to have an article in the current edition of IR? It's a great article ;)


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46


    ariana` wrote: »
    I'm happy to leave it open for discussion if others want to weigh in. It seems you are in a league of your own at the moment but hopefully not forever! I don't know why but the 100 min HM seems the most doable to me so maybe i'll make that a target for 2020 :)

    By the way do you happen to have an article in the current edition of IR? It's a great article ;)

    I agree E, there are a few that have every chance of hitting those times. It's just one of those things that at the moment most of the female posters are novices/grads and improvement should be substantial. Times may seem to be out of reach but I think some of them are achievable for lots of ye!


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D


    3 mins for the 800 looks the most achievable to me. Plenty of opportunities with NIA and graded meets coming up soon too. But yes, the 1:40 half is a good target. aquinn ran 1:41 last year, I believe. Would expect she has her eye on that number this year. ;)


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne


    ariana` wrote: »
    I'm happy to leave it open for discussion if others want to weigh in. It seems you are in a league of your own at the moment but hopefully not forever! I don't know why but the 100 min HM seems the most doable to me so maybe i'll make that a target for 2020 :)

    By the way do you happen to have an article in the current edition of IR? It's a great article ;)

    Yes I do! Well spotted! Thanks very much & glad you liked it 😀


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG


    Murph_D wrote:
    3 mins for the 800 looks the most achievable to me. Plenty of opportunities with NIA and graded meets coming up soon too. But yes, the 1:40 half is a good target. aquinn ran 1:41 last year, I believe. Would expect she has her eye on that number this year.


    I'd love to try a 800m sometime and in fact was reading your log the other day out of curiosity to see what kind of training you did for it! Might try that Trinity race for a larf


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D


    It’s only 6 secs per lap faster than the Round Numbers 5k pace, so probably the best distance to target if you want to get on that table.

    The Trinity races are very enjoyable The grass track wouldn’t be the fastest, but a good introduction. I’ll certainly have it on the schedule this summer. Would you try the Graded Meets? A bit more intense but faster surfaces. And you already know all about NIA.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG


    Murph_D wrote:
    The Trinity races are very enjoyable The grass track wouldn’t be the fastest, but a good introduction. I’ll certainly have it on the schedule this summer. Would you try the Graded Meets? A bit more intense but faster surfaces. And you already know all about NIA.


    I did a 1500m in Tallaght in 2017, came last but enjoyed it nonetheless 😀


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`


    Murph_D wrote: »
    3 mins for the 800 looks the most achievable to me. Plenty of opportunities with NIA and graded meets coming up soon too. But yes, the 1:40 half is a good target. aquinn ran 1:41 last year, I believe. Would expect she has her eye on that number this year. ;)

    Thanks. Must check out if there's any equivalent in the west. I'd love to try something like that.
    HelenAnne wrote: »
    Yes I do! Well spotted! Thanks very much & glad you liked it &#55357;&#56832;

    I wouldn't have have copped it was you only for your Q&A session here last year! It was a very good read, very practical.


  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun


    HelenAnne wrote: »
    As an aside though - I can't even remember who set the times.

    I went trawling through the archives, and discovered that you started the discussion :)

    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78370252&postcount=138

    this thread
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056500252

    and here's the thread that started it all off
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57898842

    and only looking back at that original post do I see that Racing Flat also had suggested times for women...


  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun


    Wow, going down the rabbit hole on all those threads...

    Funny to see people like Krusty and BeepBeep talking about aiming for a couple of the times on the list :pac:

    But also reminded me why I prefer the "Best of 201x" threads. The Round Numbers threads always end up in arguments about the times being too easy (alas! the state of running today, in times gone by people would run those times as part of their warm-up) or too hard (elitist bastards and dickwavers, no wonder people are scared to join clubs!)


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne


    Wow! 2012-me just threw a grenade in and swanned off :)

    It seems like people want to keep the table as it is, but maybe anyone wanting to get onto the current table in the future could use those times suggested for women by Racing Flat as a stepping stone (I don't mean have two tables on the go, I just mean write Racing Flat's times in their running journal TM (:)) and work towards them, and then once we've achieved them move on to the times in the current table.

    Here are the interim female times, if anyone wants to just work towards them themselves?

    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57898842

    Thanks, Ray!


Advertisement