Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Velo Club Balrothery Inaugural Sportive: 14 April

Options
  • 21-02-2019 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭

So Velo Club Balrothery are having our first sportive on Sunday 14 April.
    Starting at Balbriggan Rugby Club ,just across the road from The Balrothery Inn
    https://goo.gl/maps/MTo2ZpFbnFA2
    at 09.30.
    Entry fee will be E20 payable on the day.

There will be 2 routes.
    Long Route will be 81km with 733 mtrs of climbing according to Ride with GPS.

Short Route will be 53km with 367 mtrs of climbing according to Ride with GPS.

Both routes will the same route until 41km mark where the short route will head back to Balrothery and the long route will head uphill.

I will link routes in the next few days.

Any questions fire away.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

koutoubia wrote: »
    ....Any questions fire away...
    Why is the 'long' route only 81k?

If I'm not working, I'll be there. Good luck with it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Long route is only 81km because we don't believe we have the manpower to run a longer route.
    We are still a small club and even getting this off the ground is a challenge due to many obstacles both foreseen and unforseen to date.
    Thanks for your wishes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Where'd you find 733 metres in that neck of the woods?

I'm in, if I'm not away.

We actually had to tone it back..we were touching 900 at one point but safety and marshalling had to take priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭billyhead

Count me in. Looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I’ll be there if I’m not working or away

Just realised it's the day after the Donegal Bay Sportive but I'll try to fit it in.

Just realised it's the day after the Donegal Bay Sportive but I'll try to fit it in.
    Sure cycle up and back. No bother to ya...that new bike needs to be broken in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Is it true VCB has some of Ireland's best looking and modest lads in the club?

Holy Jaysus...... No wonder you have a man cave...The missus just cant listen to you anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Corker1

Excellent! I have put this in my diary. Looking forward to a nice loop around NCD. I haven't cycled out that way in a while. I hope to bring along a few friends from West Wicklow too.

Corker1 wrote: »
    ... Looking forward to a nice loop around NCD. .
    I'd imagine to find 750m in 80k, there will be an incursion into south Co Meath for the joys of Bellewstown, Snowtown etc.

We have avoided Snowtown and approaching Bellewstown a different way.
    Hopefully I will be getting to do the full route tomorrow and then link it here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,448 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

There's an outside chance I can make this. Do you need CI membership to take part?

There's an outside chance I can make this. Do you need CI membership to take part?
    One day licences should be available on the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Awesome! I’m in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

One day licences should be available on the day!

Great, I might be able to get a lift so!!

Though, I'll likely cycle to the start.

Long Route.
    We changed it to include some extra climbing.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2172154248/segments/54792402976

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Presumably mudguards are compulsory?

:P

• Advertisement

Cheeky.

By mid April the mudguards should well and truly put away!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Methinks you may have just jinxed your event!!

We are harder then that over here. None of this soft Yorkshire cricket nonsense for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Long Route.
    We changed it to include some extra climbing.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2172154248/segments/54792402976

I presume you considered heading out by Man O'War rather than the R132. It's a much quieter road and would add a bit more climbing.

Great to have another early season sportif in NCD. Looking forward to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,448 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i see you're taking in the mall climb; it's one of the climbs i really enjoy out that direction, and weirdly, have just noticed that i'm #2 on the boards leaderboard on.

was filthy today though.

We are harder then that over here. None of this soft Yorkshire cricket nonsense for us.

Try saying that to Brian Close or Freddie Trueman…..

Beasty wrote: »
    Try saying that to Brian Close or Freddie Trueman…..

Are they cyclist from Skerries?
    Havent heard of them.

i see you're taking in the mall climb; it's one of the climbs i really enjoy out that direction, and weirdly, have just noticed that i'm #2 on the boards leaderboard on.

was filthy today though.

Its a nasty little kicker as is Carnes Hill to Bellewstown. My Garmin gave a reading of 14% at one stage on it.

We are thinking that for those doing any major climbing in the summer (WW200 etc) its a perfect Spring tester!

I presume you considered heading out by Man O'War rather than the R132. It's a much quieter road and would add a bit more climbing.

It was another jct or 3 that we would have had to worry about with an already stretched marshalling qouta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I'll be away sadly. Would like to have been around to support a new club/make up for all the curse related suffering inflicted on Koutoubia.

Would be a solid 140km for me too.

Advertisement