Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog-House training

Options
  • 21-02-2019 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I have a pup about a month (hes 7mths old) now and he never goes to the toilet during the day in the house. At night he usually gets up around 3am and starts walking about so I know he needs to go to the toilet and I bring him out which he goes straight away. He then gets up about 8am and if we are not up straight away he pees and poos on the floor. He gets his last walk at 11pm and bed about 11.30pm. The water is taken up about approx. 10pm.
    Also he eats his poo if he poos in the house but never if he poos outside ( last owner may be a factor in this happening.)
    Any advice or tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Any advice or tips?

Get up before him and take him out, then feed him/give him his food in a kong and leave him to settle would be my advice. My dogs are 9 and 5 and would be up by 7:30-8:00 at the latest needing to go out and expecting their breakfast lol!

By getting up and letting him poo outside you're eliminating the problem of him going inside and eating it.

There could be an element of separation anxiety too so you're working on that by having him learn to settle in the morning once he's gone to the loo..and at least by having him out to the loo before he'a left on his own again you're kind of ruling it out one way of the other if that makes sense? ie is he doing it because he's bursting or because he's anxious.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭themarkmeister

? ie is he doing it because he's bursting or because he's anxious.

Good questions.. He could be doing it because he is anxious.. As when he is brought out at 3am he tries to get into the bedroom to us. I am giving him his last meal at 4pm going forward which will hopefully eliminate the pooing and if that doesnt work try the Cong then.

? ie is he doing it because he's bursting or because he's anxious.

Good questions.. He could be doing it because he is anxious.. As when he is brought out at 3am he tries to get into the bedroom to us. I am giving him his last meal at 4pm going forward which will hopefully eliminate the pooing and if that doesnt work try the Cong then.

4pm is too early for a pup imo. And personally I don't take up water as a pup can dehydrate very quickly.

What are you feeding him as this could be causing extra poos too?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭themarkmeister

I am feeding him royal Canin which is measured out. Royal Canin is supposed to be the best but so far I am not impressed as I was of the understanding it reduced amt of poo due to its high quality.
    I wasn't sure on the water but following the advice of the Vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

My Shelties would do the same, not go in the house all day, but when I was up in the morning there would be gifts in the living room for me. That was 5 years ago.

What are you cleaning the floor with after he goes?

In my case, the solution was having my boys sleep up in my bedroom with me at night. Never been an issue since.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Advertisement

I am feeding him royal Canin which is measured out. Royal Canin is supposed to be the best but so far I am not impressed as I was of the understanding it reduced amt of poo due to its high quality.
    I wasn't sure on the water but following the advice of the Vet.

I wouldn't feed RC myself. I did when Bailey was a pup but it didn't suit him. Both of my dogs are raw feed so we don't have loads of poo - it was fantastic when Lucy was a pup - she went on raw the day she came home and there was minimal poo lol!

Advertisement