Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stem pinch bolts

Options
  • 20-02-2019 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

The heads of the pinch bolts on my stem are fairly rusted so i'm looking at replacing them before I end up with them rounding or something.

Anyone any ideas on where the best place to get replacement is (B&M or online)? Is Wiggle/CRC the cheapest or would i be likely to find them in a hardware store somewhere?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

They don’t need to be all that strong (recomended torque is usually less than 8Nm), so ones you can buy in a hardware store should be fine, but be sure to get ones with a head narrow enough to sit in the recess of the stem, and don’t forget that the washers are important and shouldn’t be left out.

The appearance of hardware shop ones may be inferior as they’ll be zinc plated rather than chrome, but chromed ones will be hard to get without buying a stem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭JMcL

Anyone any ideas on where the best place to get replacement is (B&M or online)? Is Wiggle/CRC the cheapest or would i be likely to find them in a hardware store somewhere?

Not stem bolts, but I had to get some crank pinch bolts recently. Bike Components was half the price of other places, but still an eye-watering €2.50 for an M6 bolt and shipping is a tenner so if you've a tyre order pending it'd take the sting out (I could really have done with them being chucked in a jiffy bag I didn't need to sign for halving the price of shipping).

If you can get some that'll do the job in a local hardware store though, happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Save the faffing, just buy a new stem!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

gman2k wrote: »
    Save the faffing, just buy a new stem!

Ha! There's more faffing in buying a new stem than there is in replacing the pinch bolts! I have some generic easton stem that I can't find online. How long is it - who knows? (i've no idea where measurements start and end from)
    What's the degree of rise? (get a spirit level and protractor out :D). It's far easier to keep components that I know work and replace the bolts than it is to source new components.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Oh class, thanks!

Advertisement