Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Benefits to registering as a Sole Trader

• 19-02-2019 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi - sorry if this has been asked here before but I did try a few variations of searching for it and couldn't find an exact match.

I've been part-time self-employed for several years, am tax-compliant, file jointly with my better half every year. Currently under the threshold for VAT, not in any immediate danger of crossing same. I never registered as a Sole Trader as I was told it wasn't necessary but now I'm wondering if there are benefits that I could be taking advantage of? For instance, I've been looking at changing my car for something like a Renault Trafic crew-cab/9-seater. However, it seems that it is next to impossible to get private insurance for this kind of vehicle in Ireland. I'm not trying to dodge tax or commit insurance fraud of any kind, I'm just wondering if I register myself as a sole trader (which I am, in effect), could I broaden the range of opportunities open to me in the vehicular realm? Or, indeed, possibly pick up more paying gigs? OR will registration expose me to any potential hazard?

Advertisement