Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotkam

Options
  • 19-02-2019 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭

Anyone using one of these. Looking for pros and cons if they are worth the investment to tidy up my clay shooting. Or is there any clubs or instructors using these for coaching

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Luckysasha wrote: »
    Anyone using one of these. Looking for pros and cons if they are worth the investment to tidy up my clay shooting. Or is there any clubs or instructors using these for coaching

for over £600 pounds, id spend the money on lessons. At the time you wont know whats wrong, and you'll have to review the footage and try and work out what went wrong, an instructor can stand behind you and tell you straight away what went wrong, and work on correcting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭.243

i have one and its brilliant for showing where you missed,footage
    can be slowed right down to show where the shot pattern,but before you drop money on it id advise you to pattern your gun on a plate first to make sure your putting the shot exactly where your aiming

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

600 pounds would get you a pro coach who has actually achieved top levels in the sport fit your gun and give you several lessons putting you in a good place to practice properly and improve.

Shotcam shows you missed, can you identify why? is it stance? The move? Gun fit? method employed? wrong hold point?

I reckon it might be a useful tool but never a substitute for a good coach.

Disclaimer: i am only an improver and defo no coach so no skin in this game, just my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

I have tried 2 separate lads for coaching but it was a disaster to be honest. The first lad would stand with you and as soon as his phone would ring he would be gone and the second lad basically tried to impose his style of shooting on me instead of working with what i was doing and trying to improve what style and method i was comfortable with. I find it nearly as beneficial to go out with a few lads and just practice away. Problem i have is when i miss a bird i dont know where im going wrong and if you have 3 lads standing beside you inevitably you get 3 different solutions to the miss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Luckysasha wrote: »
    I have tried 2 separate lads for coaching but it was a disaster to be honest. The first lad would stand with you and as soon as his phone would ring he would be gone and the second lad basically tried to impose his style of shooting on me instead of working with what i was doing and trying to improve what style and method i was comfortable with. I find it nearly as beneficial to go out with a few lads and just practice away. Problem i have is when i miss a bird i dont know where im going wrong and if you have 3 lads standing beside you inevitably you get 3 different solutions to the miss

that 600 will get you quiet a few hours with ben husthwaite in courtlough or lazy dog. he is excellent. look him up on youtube.

shotkams are good as well and you can play it back on your phone straight after your shot to see what went amiss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

that 600 will get you quiet a few hours with ben husthwaite in courtlough or lazy dog. he is excellent. look him up on youtube.

shotkams are good as well and you can play it back on your phone straight after your shot to see what went amiss.

How much is a lesson with Ben do you know? Would it be a pure waste of time getting one lesson or would you need a group of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭.243

Shotcam shows you missed, can you identify why? is it stance? The move? Gun fit? method employed? wrong hold point?
    yes,its calibrated to your aim point,it records from as soon as you close the gun and shows hold point,move,swing,lead and after shot
    step in and shoot,if you miss you step out and look as to where you were when you took the shot,step back in and retake,
    no one person shoots the same, we all have our own way of doing it,its just tweeking our way of doing it,if your fundementals are on point 99% of clay shooters get let down by not correctly reading the flight of the clay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

How much is a lesson with Ben do you know? Would it be a pure waste of time getting one lesson or would you need a group of them?

under a 100 euro an hour it depends where you are. thats all in. clays etc.

He is great if you get the chance to have a lesson with him do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Heard mixed reports about hustwaite. His you tube videos are very good and i picked up a few tricks from them. He has a DVD out where he uses an eyecam when shooting but the dvd is €140. Surely there has to be a good coach somewhere in Ireland without having to import one from the UK !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Message him about getting a lesson, he comes over regularly and has multiple clients a day. Take a slot and see how you feel then.
    Personally i think hisa gun fitting was worth every penny. First thing he will do with you.

If you don't get on, move on. But clubmen ,however well meaning, telling you you are behind is useless.

• Advertisement
Advertisement