Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning a raised pond

Options
  • 19-02-2019 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

As the title says, I need to clean my raised pond. Normally the advice seems to be to clear and then leave everything at the edge for creatures to make their way back into the pond- but what does one do with a raised pond where that's not possible?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

As the title says, I need to clean my raised pond. Normally the advice seems to be to clear and then leave everything at the edge for creatures to make their way back into the pond- but what does one do with a raised pond where that's not possible?
    You do this in two stages.

First use a net to scoop out the leaves and large stuff. An anglers/fishermans landing net is best, but a kids seaside fishing net will do. Then leave it to settle for a day or two.

Second syphon out half the water from the bottom and replace with clean water. For this you need a large diameter transparent tube of about 2 metres long and 25 mm diameter, which you can get from a caravan shop, or maybe a DIY store.

Each time, dump the debris and water onto the garden soil, in one place. Then watch for critters wriggling, which you can put in a bucket, and later pour them back into the pond.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Thanks

Advertisement