Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing Clio Mk4 dash speedo from Kmh to Mph

Options
  • 18-02-2019 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭

Calling all Renault Clio Mk4 (2016) Dyanamique Nav (Irish reg) owners the car has a LCD 'Digit' Speed readout (as opposed to needle) and i am trying to see if I can change the speed to Mph (wife sometimes goes up NI be handy to change it back and forth the MPH)

Plenty of youtube vids and websites and renault e-guides telling you how to do it but they seem to be UK based Clio mk4 whereby the people are changing the speedo from mph to kmh. - Basically pressing the onboard computer switch at end of the wiper stalk and then holding in the engine start button for a few seconds, then the mph digit flashes and when it stops flashes it changes from mph to kmh. - i want to go the other way kmh to mph ...but i have a feeming its not going to work on an Irish reg Clio (for reasons beyond me, why would they put the facility on a UK RHD clio but not an Irish RHD Clio ) or maybe its just me not pressing the right buttons or maybe there is a different button procedure for the Irish Clio. - or it could even be that its not even built in to the ECU of an Irish Clio, I dont know.

But if you work in an Irish renault garage/mechanic or even someone who owns an Irish mk4 clio and have found out how to change it back and forth can you let me no please.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

i just read this on a site:

"Imperial Speedometer
    Great Britain uses imperial units for speed measurement. The law requires that speedometers must include a miles-per-hour display"

well if I cannot change the LED digits on the Clio mk4 to mph from km/h on the fly like a UK clio mk4 owner can change from mph to km/h with the computer button and start button, and I choose to drive in Northern Ireland with a Km/h only display how does it stand on the law like that i wonder?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Has the car got the built in sat nav?

Toots wrote: »
    Has the car got the built in sat nav?

yep - i see you can set the units for that in mph in the settings ...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

i just read this on a site:

"Imperial Speedometer
    Great Britain uses imperial units for speed measurement. The law requires that speedometers must include a miles-per-hour display"

well if I cannot change the LED digits on the Clio mk4 to mph from km/h on the fly like a UK clio mk4 owner can change from mph to km/h with the computer button and start button, and I choose to drive in Northern Ireland with a Km/h only display how does it stand on the law like that i wonder?

The car only has to be legal in the country it's from. How else have continental truckers/busers/motorists managed to drive in the UK as they never have imperial options.

Del2005 wrote: »
    The car only has to be legal in the country it's from. How else have continental truckers/busers/motorists managed to drive in the UK as they never have imperial options.

true - never thought of that. You know English cars (that have actual speedo's in mph and km/h) would Continental / europe cars (that have mechanical dials) have mph on their dials as well? or just kmh digits stamped on them ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

I'd have it permanently put to mph. Don't like kph a'tall.

I'd have it permanently put to mph. Don't like kph a'tall.

I have to say personally as having old bangers of cars over the years (latest car being 2004 we ever had) they all had mph and km/h stamped on the speedo dial gauge with mph being more prominant in bigger figures that I actually prefer mph as well - and you get to know 100km/h is 60mph and 50km/h is 30mph and so on

the digit km/h on the new clio is strange as in even when you are doing a very low speed say under 10mph even then it sort of doesnt look like its very precise and flickers away , maybe its just a case of getting used to it after having so many years of a mph speedo ?

I suppose I could take it up renault up northern ireland and they could put it on their machine , what at around 60quid maybe and they could re-program the ECU with UK renault clio software and then I would say that definately would change the speedo to mph ... then again i think i read if you had to disconnect the battery it could go back again to the region of the country (in the case of our Irish Clio back to km/h then)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

yep - i see you can set the units for that in mph in the settings ...

Mine is in KPH but when I was in the UK, the little speed limit sign on the sat nav screen converted the MPH speed limit to KPH, so you could see what the speed limit was in KPH, which was handy.

My car is a UK import, so I had to change the units to KPH when I got it, and if I ever disconnect the battery it changes to mph again, but I never bother changing back to Mph if I'm in the North or the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Have only ever change it from mph to kmh using the renault diagnostic tool. Should be the same for changing it from kmh to mph. Be worth asking a dealer

EPAndlee wrote: »
    Have only ever change it from mph to kmh using the renault diagnostic tool. Should be the same for changing it from kmh to mph. Be worth asking a dealer

thank you I will do that - renault RRG up in Dublin have told me to phone some department on Monday and ask about it.

I have a handy cheapo wi-fi elm327 OBDII device I use to turn off engine lights and check other tghings and I was hoping maybe I could find an app on google play or somewhere that I could change the kmh to mph but the search still goes on to try and find such an app , if one is even available, I am not sure.

I have seen someone on youtube change the milometer with an elm327 but i dont want to be 'clocking' the car or anything illegal like that, just see if I can change the speedo from kmh to mph and then back to kmh again .. but really without having to rely on taking it to a renault garage every time and do it myself

• Advertisement
Advertisement