Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two canons on Dun Laoghaire pier?

Options
  • 18-02-2019 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭

Is there any truth to the rumor that there is in fact two canons on Dun Laoghaire pier, but one is buried or partially buried in concrete?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,332 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There was a gun battery at the end of the East Pier, you can go in and have a look when the Teddy's ice cream stall is open. I think they fly a flag at the end of the pier to indicate when the stall is open. If you climb up on the stone ledge on the right (the side facing out into Dublin Bay), you can see the mountings where the guns could be swivelled through a wide arc to cover Dublin Bay and the entrance to the harbour. Where the actual guns are now I don't know.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

At least one is a working model. The army come down from time to time to fire it off. Keeps the gun working and the army lads in training I suppose. Used mainly for ceremonial stuff, like the recent bicentenary of the harbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 biggertomrodney

Hi, I know this is an older thread, but given that it's the first and only hit on Google for this topic I'll answer this question.

Yes, there is a second cannon on the East Pier and it is buried along the way. You've probably passed it many times as it just looks like a bollard!

It's actually mentioned on the newer sign beside the Crimean cannon. I've attached some pictures for reference.

I hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭yagan

I lived for a few years in England and I had to travel all over with work and a recurrent theme in every Victorian era public park is a crimean canon. They seemed as ubiquitous in public gardens all around the British empire as fragments from the true cross were all around medieval Europe.

I wouldn't be surprised if they all came from the navy as they scrapped ships and their obsolete cannons.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

There's forty or more cannon serving like that as bollards outside the old Beggars Bush barracks on Haddington Road. It was a common use for obsolete ordnance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,813 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Beats the plastic trash that our Local Authorities seem bent on polluting the City with, of late.

Advertisement