Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rainsuit recommendations?

Options
  • 17-02-2019 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭

Not been golfing as much lately as I used to but chances to play are a lot more likely in the winter/spring/autumn so I want to be prepared.

After years of buying cheap and often and never staying dry, I splashed out on a Proquip Silk Touch suit (about €300 if memory serves) and it was a revelation! No more deciding whether to get wet from the outside in from rain, or the inside out from sweating inside a fancy plastic bag. Sadly after about four years it stopped working the way it used to. No complaints about price vs. performance vs. longevity as it served me well off the course as well.

Looking to invest again in similar quality gear. Lightweight. Breathable. Waterproof. Hopeful budget of €300 again but if the equivalent suit nowadays is more then I guess the budget increases.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

milltown wrote: »
    Not been golfing as much lately as I used to but chances to play are a lot more likely in the winter/spring/autumn so I want to be prepared.

After years of buying cheap and often and never staying dry, I splashed out on a Proquip Silk Touch suit (about €300 if memory serves) and it was a revelation! No more deciding whether to get wet from the outside in from rain, or the inside out from sweating inside a fancy plastic bag. Sadly after about four years it stopped working the way it used to. No complaints about price vs. performance vs. longevity as it served me well off the course as well.

Looking to invest again in similar quality gear. Lightweight. Breathable. Waterproof. Hopeful budget of €300 again but if the equivalent suit nowadays is more then I guess the budget increases.

Keep saving and buy a galvin green suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭davegilly

I have a Nike Storm Fit suit - https://www.onlinegolf.eu/golf-clothing-shoes/waterproofs/nike-golf-storm-fit-waterproof-suit-291653.html - been out a few times in torrential rain and was dry as a bone afterwards. Nice and light too so can be worn in Summer. Not sure how it stacks up to Galvin Green but I'd highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Glebee

davegilly wrote: »
    I have a Nike Storm Fit suit - https://www.onlinegolf.eu/golf-clothing-shoes/waterproofs/nike-golf-storm-fit-waterproof-suit-291653.html - been out a few times in torrential rain and was dry as a bone afterwards. Nice and light too so can be worn in Summer. Not sure how it stacks up to Galvin Green but I'd highly recommend it.

I can second that. I have that suit. Very good for the price. Nice and light to so it fits easily in the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Does washing them in the machine ruin them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

backspin. wrote: »
    Does washing them in the machine ruin them.

They should have explicit instructions. In a lot of cases, in particular if the set has goretex, they generally recommend you put them in to a dryer before using them again to ensure that the tech is reactivated.

I've had no problems with the washing machine with mine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

As with Space my Galvin Green specifies to stick it in a tumble dryer after washing. It still seems to be as good for me.

I've had loads of suits over the years but this one leaves the rest for dust. It's lightweight so you don't sweat so much and keeps you bone dry.

My old FJ suit (which was fantastic) you would nearly have to take off your trousers before sticking the suit bottoms on they were sooooo heavy. GG you won't really feel the difference throwing them on over your trousers. Same for top

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭higster

Got this. It’s bloddy great, light never wet even in serious downpour. Waited until was on sale though...mygolfspy does have GALVIN GREEN GORTEX ALON as best in class for waterproofing though.

https://cross-sportswear.com/shop/menswear/men-golf/jackets-menswear/m-edge-jacket-black-2/

https://mygolfspy.com/the-best-rain-gear-of-2018/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Seve OB wrote: »
    I've had loads of suits over the years but this one leaves the rest for dust. It's lightweight so you don't sweat so much and keeps you bone dry.

My thoughts exactly on GG. Expensive, but worth every penny.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Has to be GG, I have mine some 7 years now, wash it as required but not that often and it's as good as new, never get even the slightest bit wet and the paclite stuff weighs fek all

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

OP, don't buy anything but top end gear or you will look back and regret it at some stage. I've been there and bought cheaper stuff and it will let you down and you'll realise why lads spend the big bucks on GG and the likes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Agree with the GG, they are best in class. I did pick up these UA trousers recently and have been done dry after torrential rain.Who knows how long they will last but at price you really can't complain.

https://ie.sportsdirect.com/under-armour-storm-3-golf-trousers-mens-369102?colcode=36910203&gclid=Cj0KCQiAzKnjBRDPARIsAKxfTRARw3IEP32ejG4QsOIA8Asmu4ucoAR0yMNBz_dMg4lnFq8e4Koz23oaApdFEALw_wcB

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I have these Mizuno bottoms, really comfortable and lightweight. I need to get a decent rain jacket as well though. I'm thinking of some sort of lightweight hybrid that I can wear off the course too

Advertisement