Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forestry left overs

Options
  • 17-02-2019 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

There a forests close to home where areas have been felled and removed.

There is a huge amount of timber left roughly on the ground just left to rot.

Is there any way of applying to go in and cut this timber and take it away in car trailer loads for domestic use.

Obviously I would expect to pay for this, just kills me to see so much decent timber left rotting away so close to home.

The land is owned by coillte.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 DodgeS

You need to get in contact with the local Coillte harvesting forester in your area. That timber will likely go to the board mills, bord na mona or a local firewood producer. Coillte only sell by the truck load though which costs about €1,400 for about 30 cubic meteres, (don't quote me on this).

Whatever you do don't go in cutting it yourself! Just contact the local harvest manager and tell them what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭$kilkenny

Unfortunately it is a waste of time.

In Scotland you can apply for a salvage license for this type of work but you are not allowed to use a chainsaw, here in Ireland Coillte don't even want to know about it and don't care.

You probably won't even get a call back about it.
    I will put it this way, I supply loads of stake material and firewood to a number of guys in kilkenny/Tipperary area that used to be supplied by Coillte, could be 2 or 3 loads to each person worth a few thousand. The only reason I now supply them material is coz no one in Coillte answered the phone and don't want to know about the small guys anymore, to Coillte they are just hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 BogBoy84

bejaysus wrote: »
    There a forests close to home where areas have been felled and removed.

There is a huge amount of timber left roughly on the ground just left to rot.

Is there any way of applying to go in and cut this timber and take it away in car trailer loads for domestic use.

Obviously I would expect to pay for this, just kills me to see so much decent timber left rotting away so close to home.

The land is owned by coillte.

Hi Bejaysus,

Any luck in finding out what you could do with this timber? There is loads beside me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

Was chatting to friend and his got permission from a forestry manager to go into a felled forest and take what was not staked up for transportation. Can anyone clear up the legal side is that is it allowed as its going to be left there to rot anyway...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Mod note Threads merged as they are both on the same topic.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
Advertisement