Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it really possible to move on from a difficult childhood?

Options
  • 17-02-2019 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

We always hear how important our formative years are... I grew up in a home where my Dad was abusive (verbally/emotionally) to my Mam and my Mam was very bitter and passive aggressive towards him.

I don't ever remember them getting on or having any affection for each other, loving each other, I've never seen a photo of their wedding day. They are still together to this day, even though they basically can't stand each other.

There was a lot of fighting in the house growing up, and (I believe) as a result of that, I'm quite an argumentative person. I'm very emotional at times. My feelings are easily hurt.

As I posted on another thread, I've been single for almost 10 years and I wonder if this is the root of why I find it so difficult to form loving relationships.

I've been in therapy for years but progress is very slow and I wonder if it is really possible to rewrite your story at 30 when you've lived this experience your whole life.
    Failed to load the poll.

Advertisement