Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding out who owns the house

Options
  • 16-02-2019 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi everyone. I am in a bit of a confusion here. I got a letter from my landlord yesterday that he wants his house for his cousin. But a few years ago I remember him telling me that he is not the owner of the house, his mother owns the house.

I was wondering is there any way at all I can find out who owns the property that I am currently renting out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

I was wondering is there any way at all I can find out who owns the property that I am currently renting out?

Try LandDirect.ie and get a copy of the folio for €5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

His cousin would be his mother’s niece or nephew so probably still a valid termination notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Benny Biscotti

amcalester wrote: »
    His cousin would be his mother’s niece or nephew so probably still a valid termination notice.

But if it's now the landlords house, would a cousin come under family member?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

But if it's now the landlords house, would a cousin come under family member?

I don’t think it’s defined what family members are included.

No harm in the OP getting the RTB involved but he should plan for a negative outcome.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

This is what I found last time I looked at the definition of 'family member' for the purposes of the residential tenancies act:
    (4) In paragraph 4 of the Table the reference to a member of the landlord's family is a reference to any spouse, child, stepchild, foster child, grandchild, parent, grandparent, step parent, parent-in-law, brother, sister, nephew or niece of the landlord or a person adopted by the landlord under the Adoption Acts 1952 to 1998.

Source: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2004/act/27/enacted/en/print#sec35

• Advertisement
Advertisement