Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping landline number when moving to Eir Business FTTH?

Options
  • 16-02-2019 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi,
    We've just got efibre installed locally & I'm in the process of looking at different providers options & it's currently looking like Eir Business Advantage Boost is probably the best package for our needs. We are at present getting wireless broadband with VOIP phone via Imagine. My issue & question is that I was told by the sales guy at Eir that there is no way that we can keep our existing phone number!!! Does anyone know if this is correct? We've changed providers on several occasions in the past & the number has always moved no problem so I don't understand why it is not possible now! It is a big issue for me as it is both our residential & business number & trying to contact everyone that has it would be virtually impossible after 16 years of trading!!
    Apparently, if we were going with one of the residential plans it MAY be possible to keep it but still no guarantee!!

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Myles45 wrote: »
    Hi,
    We've just got efibre installed locally & I'm in the process of looking at different providers options & it's currently looking like Eir Business Advantage Boost is probably the best package for our needs. We are at present getting wireless broadband with VOIP phone via Imagine. My issue & question is that I was told by the sales guy at Eir that there is no way that we can keep our existing phone number!!! Does anyone know if this is correct? We've changed providers on several occasions in the past & the number has always moved no problem so I don't understand why it is not possible now! It is a big issue for me as it is both our residential & business number & trying to contact everyone that has it would be virtually impossible after 16 years of trading!!
    Apparently, if we were going with one of the residential plans it MAY be possible to keep it but still no guarantee!!

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Theoretically it should be possible especially if you are being put on eir's VoIP (they call it VoBB) product. However I'm nearly sure I've read of cases here where people were told they cannot do it.

My advice would be to clarify with eir whether you will be on PSTN (traditional copper) or VoBB for your phone then contact Comreg at consumerline@comreg.ie for their view on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Myles45

Thanks Navi, I'm really not sure what the phone is, there is very limited information on the package available & I can't find any mention of it in any of their t&c's. All it actually says is that it's "Business Unlimited" Unlimited local, national, mobile & international calls (bands 1-9).
    We do actually still have our original copper line running to the house & although it's not currently in use I guess it could be used for the phone & just have the fibre for the broadband?

I'm afraid I'm not very knowledgable about communication tec, I find it all a bit confusing:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Myles45 wrote: »
    Thanks Navi, I'm really not sure what the phone is, there is very limited information on the package available & I can't find any mention of it in any of their t&c's. All it actually says is that it's "Business Unlimited" Unlimited local, national, mobile & international calls (bands 1-9).
    We do actually still have our original copper line running to the house & although it's not currently in use I guess it could be used for the phone & just have the fibre for the broadband?

I'm afraid I'm not very knowledgable about communication tec, I find it all a bit confusing:o

Generally what eir do in situations such as yours would be to put you on to VoBB and allocate a new number. You want to port your number from Imagine. I think it should be easier for eir to port the Imagine number onto their VoBB service than onto the traditional PSTN copper line but it seems there may be issues with doing this. I really think you should get Comreg's view on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Myles45

Thanks for the advice, I'll see if I can contact them on Monday

Advertisement