Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physio or Chiropractor?

Options
  • 16-02-2019 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭

I've no idea if this is the right forum - apologies if it isn't.

If your back has been sore and stiff for the past 2 weeks (and you've no idea why or how and and it hasn't really been improving or worsening in the 2 weeks) should you go to a Physio or a Chiropractor?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,269 ✭✭✭alias no.9

A physio every time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Chiropractors are quacks.

Personally, I'd go for a physio. You need to find one that works for you, though. I've worked with a lot of physios over the years, and they all have their own strengths and weaknesses.

The main issue I have with chiropractors is that you're essentially signing up to visit them regularly for life, whereas a physio will aim to get you better than you were before your issue occurred, and hopefully you won't have to see them about it again once treatment is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Finchie1276

A physio. Chiropractors are in my experience very poor at resolving stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

To throw a spanner in the works I'd say a Chiropractors, as they'll fix the problem. A physio will work with the problem.

I know I'd rather have it fixed that living with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭blairbear

As a doctor, I would recommend a physio every single time. (But also see your GP in tandem). The RUBBISH Chiropractors have told my patients! Utter pseudo science bull! "Your discs/vertebrae were out so I popped them back in!" So, you did a procedure that neurosurgeons have to do under GA in theatre by manipulating someone's back for forty mins?! They are out and out lying. What they claim to do is anatomically impossible.

Back pain is notoriously difficult to manage. As an ED doctor, I deal with severe exacerbations of back pain every day. If there was a way to magically "fix" it, we would. Thankfully, most back pain will resolve in time. However, sometimes more extensive investigation is needed. So, physio and GP would be more sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

If your back has been sore and stiff for the past 2 weeks (and you've no idea why or how and and it hasn't really been improving or worsening in the 2 weeks) should you go to a Physio or a Chiropractor?

Chiropractors are quacks, physiotherapists are legitimate

What you need is to see your GP who might recommend you see an Orthopedic consultant

A physio. Chiropractors are in my experience very poor at resolving stuff.

A Chiropractor will try and tell you that they can heal your depression or sex life by doing the same thing as they do for the previous patient who has a sore back

I broke two ribs in 2007, ended up with nerve damage and was sore for five and a half years in total, on the advice of a neighbour, I went to see a Chiropractor, I then had a very sore back for a couple of years to go with the pain in my rib area

The con man I saw told me he could fix my asthma by manipulation of the spine

blairbear wrote: »
    As a doctor, I would recommend a physio every single time. (But also see your GP in tandem). The RUBBISH Chiropractors have told my patients! Utter pseudo science bull! "Your discs/vertebrae were out so I popped them back in!" So, you did a procedure that neurosurgeons have to do under GA in theatre by manipulating someone's back for forty mins?! They are out and out lying. What they claim to do is anatomically impossible.

Back pain is notoriously difficult to manage. As an ED doctor, I deal with severe exacerbations of back pain every day. If there was a way to magically "fix" it, we would. Thankfully, most back pain will resolve in time. However, sometimes more extensive investigation is needed. So, physio and GP would be more sensible.

Chiropractor I saw told me he could tell I had a twisted spine by observing me walk from the waiting room into his "surgery"

Superman xray vision stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭daheff

Really depends on what’s going on. A gradually worsening pain or sudden onset?

Sudden onset is more like it’s suffered a trauma...or you put out your back. Might be you did some heavy work (or something you are not used to doing).

Try some heat & hot baths for a few days.

Then try some light stretching.

Don’t mind the people saying chiropractors are quacks. I’ve been to a number over the years & most are fine. I’ve had comparable bad experiences with physios as other posters had with chiropractors....there’s good and bad in both (& drs too). Key is getting the right diagnosis to get the right treatment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Chiropractors are batsh1t crazy. All these make believe coloured charts they print out and these random adjustments they make. They claim to be able to cure literally everything by tapping various parts of your body with tiny hammers. What they “cure” is generally something that cures itself by going away in a few weeks, or by you having lighter pockets.

I’d go to a GP, and get referred to whomever they recommend.

Have a google of which ‘professions’ are quackery, and which are real. Always handy to know to avoid homeopaths, osteopaths, aura healers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I’ve booked a physio appointment.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭ROAAAR

I went to a chiropractor who’s also a physio last summer after putting injuring my back to the point that I was constantly hunched over.
    After the first session I honestly felt brand new with him working as a chiropractor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement