Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autistic guy needs Star Fox SNES PAL version

Options
  • 15-02-2019 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Non-verbal young adult with autism showed his dad a photo of an original SNES and taking a chance, his dad sourced one down in Offaly and he has played it ever since. As a kid he loved the Star Fox game and I would love to get it for him. Any ideas or suggestions, please let me know and thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Flyingsnowball

They re released the snes in a miniature version I’m nearly sure it has star wing on it as one of a number of games

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

There are a few on eBay

https://m.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m4084.l1311.R4.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xsnes+star.TRS0&_nkw=snes+starfox&_sacat=0

You could ask in the Arcade and Retro threads, maybe someone has it.
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭fulhamfan

Thanks so much to all above. Alas CEX is StarWing and eBay is Star Fox 2 with all Star War 1 NTSC and Japan so no luck there. Bought the mini version but he rejected out of hand, joys of autism!!! I'll defo try the Arcade and Retro thread if I manage to find them, thanks again guys. Really appreciate your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Hit up the guys from The Rage store in Dublin city centre,just off George's street. They sell retro games and consoles.

Google The Rage Dublin and you will find their website and a contact number you can call then on

• Advertisement

It seems I need a MOD to move the thread so if there's one out there, can you please move to Arcade and Retro thread as suggested by hairyslug

• Registered Users Posts: 31 embers_fire

That link for CEX is the best bet, it's for Starwing / Starfox PAL. That's a good price and it's delivered.

https://ie.webuy.com/product-detail/?id=ssnesg306c&categoryName=super-nes-software&superCatName=gaming&title=starwing-unboxed

Really appreciate it but it has to be the original game and Star Wing is a "modified action sequence taken from the original Star Fox game" which if given would likely cause a meltdown. He does not understand why it can't be the exact one he wants and he cannot explain why this isL)))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭loki7777

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

fulhamfan wrote: »
    Really appreciate it but it has to be the original game and Star Wing is a "modified action sequence taken from the original Star Fox game"
    same game as said above. Unless he is from the US or got his hands on a US console. This could be sourced. Was his issue with the "Mini version" the name or what?

Your quoted bit seems to be another version altogether
    DESCRIPTION
    The Super Star Fox Weekend Game Pak features a modified action sequence taken from the original Star Fox game, plus a Bonus Stage that is exclusive to this game! Every time you play, your total score is displayed at the end of your mission.

You can get emulators to play the US version which would have the name. These can play on various systems, laptop or a PS3 etc. I think you can buy a cartridge and stick in an sd card full of games.

I will report your post to be moved to the retro forum.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

rubadub wrote: »
    I will report your post to be moved to the retro forum.

Thanks, I've moved the thread as requested.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Inviere

There's no such thing as a PAL version of Starfox. Here, in PAL territories, it's called Starwing. It was only ever called Star Fox in the US, where it's not PAL, it's NTSC.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Really appreciate it but it has to be the original game and Star Wing is a "modified action sequence taken from the original Star Fox game" which if given would likely cause a meltdown. He does not understand why it can't be the exact one he wants and he cannot explain why this isL)))

Starwing and Starfox are the completely the same game , just with different titles , a German company already had a software title with the name starfox so the game was renamed for Europe.

That's great news and so informative. Off to CEX I do go and fingers crossed!!! Cheers guys, much appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I can send you a PAL cart of Starwing no problem, for free of course. Everyone should get to enjoy games again that they enjoyed when they were younger. Let me know here if you still need it or can PM me too of course.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'd love to know how this tale ends, let everyone know if you source the game and how the gentleman gets on with it.

Here's the message I sent to Corholio by way of early update.

Just seeing this now and smiling as I write. Thank you so much, if this works it will be like a lotto win as xxxxxx is at the severe end of autism and it is so rare to find something that he enjoys and it is always something from the past. The SNES is such a welcome departure from his wanting a singing Barney again, now that was a tad head wrecking!! Address is

Donation to SVDP on the way, thanks again and have a great day

• Registered Users Posts: 8,970 ✭✭✭Doge

Thanks a lot for your generosity Cornholio! See, us cork folk aren't that bad! :P

This is one of the most heart warming threads since Inviere setup a charity auction for NES signed by The Game Chasers.

Doge wrote: »
    This is one of the most heart warming threads since Inviere setup a charity auction for NES signed by The Game Chasers.

I still think of that. They wouldn't take a PENNY off of me to cover the costs of shipping it here (or anything else, they funded the whole thing).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Here's the message I sent to Corholio by way of early update.

Just seeing this now and smiling as I write. Thank you so much, if this works it will be like a lotto win as xxxxxx is at the severe end of autism and it is so rare to find something that he enjoys and it is always something from the past. The SNES is such a welcome departure from his wanting a singing Barney again, now that was a tad head wrecking!! Address is

Donation to SVDP on the way, thanks again and have a great day

I work in the field of Autism Spectrum Disorder and know how difficult it can be for some to find a thing that brings them something we, ourselves, get in spades, joy.
    How nice too that it's Starwing/fox that does the trick!
    Let the users here know if there is anything else that might be needed, or tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

The version on sale in CEX seems to be the special promo version. Prior to release they had an in store high-score competition, it was a modified version of the game with a time limit and a high score table. I remember playing it Virgin Megastore back in the day :) Anyway, might be worth taking a punt on for collectors like yourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

sugarman wrote: »
    In which store?

I'm just going by the description on the CEX website on the link that was posted earlier in the thread. You'd want to eyeball it alright to be sure as it could be just mislabeled but worth a look none the less

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Just stick a starfox label on the cart of a starwing cart and that should be that hurdle over. I have a little bit of experience with autism in my family

Los Lobos wrote: »
    Just stick a starfox label on the cart of a starwing cart and that should be that hurdle over. I have a little bit of experience with autism in my family

The title screen would give it away, and there's no chance someone on the spectrum is missing that detail

True to his word (which I never doubted) a registered package arrived today with the game in its original box and with its original guide book. Drove down and placed the box in his lap. He flapped a bit but followed my advice to open the box. Helped him to get the game out and when he saw the cartridge, he got up, removed Donkey Kong and placed Star Wing into the slot. Once the game opened and started to play, he pushed me towards the door, a sure sign it was time for me to leave. He then sat down and just as I left, he flapped and smiled with happiness as he sent the Star Wing thru the circles appearing on the screen. Corholio, you are a gem and thanks is not nearly enough but be assured it is a huge success and you have brought great joy to a guy who is ever so hard to please!! THANKS

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It truly warmed my heart to read that. I'm really glad he could get infinitely more joy than I could continue to get from that or any other game. Don't hesitate to enquire here if there is any other game that he remembers as it's a great little community here and anyone else would have done the same thing.

You're very welcome again :) Hope he continues to enjoy it.

Well done everyone, it's a pleasure and surely unsurprising to any regulars here that this kindness and generosity is apparent.
    Consider my hat brim tipped and forelock tugged in appreciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Ah jesus. I'm not crying I promise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

cursai wrote: »
    Ah jesus. I'm not crying I promise

Me too

Advertisement