Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SEAI Appeal against previous insulation work done

Options
  • 15-02-2019 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just wondering has anyone had a similar experience to me?

I bought a house a few months ago with a BER rating of E2. Its 80m2 and 40m2 of this is an extension built in the 90s while the original part is a cottage.

I went to apply for external insulation grant and found I cant get it as the previous owner received an internal insulation grant in 2009.

But when I examined, only half the house (the old cottage) was insulated and at that the insulation is only 50mm. The extension has nothing and is literally cylinder blocks with dry wall in front of them. So that means half the house (40m2) is not insulated.

Its impossible to heat the house as the extension is basically an ice cube and heat in original cottage is lost through the extension.

So Ive applied to the SEAI for an appeal as I want to externally insulate the whole building. Ive provided, photos, engineers report and the BER cert as evidence......

What do you think my chances are of getting the grant? I really want it as Im due a baby in August and dont want to have my baby living in an ice cube!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭caesarthechimp

Its hard to say, and I suspect you may be literally the first person to try this.
    SEAI were at one stage requesting that all of the walls be upgraded at the same time "wherever feasible" but definite rules are sometimes hard to ascertain, and especially back in the early days of 2009.

I think it would be fair to introduce a new rule now, saying that if less than about 60% of the wall (or any element) has been insulated in reality, and there is a new owner of the house, then another grant should be made available to the new owner, so they can finish the job properly.

Anyway good luck in your appeal, and let us know what happens.

Advertisement