Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I keep my PSTN line if I move to VF Gigabit BB?

Options
  • 15-02-2019 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

Had a letter from VF today offering me that new GIGABIT BB at same price as my current FTTC bb. BUT I have a PSTN line with a wireless phone set up ie 5/6 handsets and it works great.

Before I ring vf I reckon I get a better answer on here!

Is it possible to keep PSTN line?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You can do the same with the VOIP line. Thats not a reason to keep copper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

VoIP's absolutely fine. I would actually argue that using Digiweb's VoIP with a DECT phone linked directly to the Fritz!Box is producing far better quality of voice than my landline ever did and it has a lot more functionality.

The Fritz!Boxes actually connect directly to any GAP complaint DECT cordless phone and you end up with nearly a little mini office phone system with its own internal voicemail and everything. You can even add extra VoIP lines on other services to it.

Don't compare these VoIP services with over-the-top public internet VoIP. They're QoS managed and the server is on your ISP's network. It's at least as good as a classic landline. There's nothing particularly magical about old 1980s TDM switching technology. It's limited to 8KHz sampling and quite poor quantisation levels due to the limitations of the technology in the 1970s and 80s. In theory carrier grade VoIP is vastly superior - it's just hobbled by needing to interconnect with old-tech from the PSTN.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭swoofer

Thanks both. I'm going to stick with what I have. I read that VF letter again and I am not very happy. It implies that you are hooked up to gigabit BB but in fact you get the slowest speed, 150mbs. It makes no mention of contract length but apparently its 12 months. The worst part is I cant find details anywhere of what the price will be in 12 months time.

Its a shame that we are back to the same old same old, they will flog it as gigabit then say its up 1GB and then probably throttle the speeds between 150, 300 and 1gb in other words for 150 read anything up 150, and same for 300mb and the 1gb. And of course never get any of these speeds. They have a FUP of 1tb per month. All that has changed is that it will cost more.

How can a company get away with calling their BB package gigabit when its a total lie!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

swoofer wrote: »
    Thanks both. I'm going to stick with what I have. I read that VF letter again and I am not very happy. It implies that you are hooked up to gigabit BB but in fact you get the slowest speed, 150mbs. It makes no mention of contract length but apparently its 12 months. The worst part is I cant find details anywhere of what the price will be in 12 months time.

Its a shame that we are back to the same old same old, they will flog it as gigabit then say its up 1GB and then probably throttle the speeds between 150, 300 and 1gb in other words for 150 read anything up 150, and same for 300mb and the 1gb. And of course never get any of these speeds. They have a FUP of 1tb per month. All that has changed is that it will cost more.

How can a company get away with calling their BB package gigabit when its a total lie!!

You have me confused....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Its not a lie :confused: You can get up to 1Gb if you want it. If you don't need or want 1Gb and want to pay less then go with a lower profile of 150/300.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭swoofer

https://www.vodafone.ie/home/gigabit-plans

I don,t know if link will work but to my eyes advertising gigabit bb and then showing speeds of 150, 300 and 1gb is false advertising.

The only one that is gigabit is the 1gb one. They correct heading should say FTTH to the home and then show the speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭chris_ie

https://www.vodafone.ie/home/gigabit-plans

I don,t know if link will work but to my eyes advertising gigabit bb and then showing speeds of 150, 300 and 1gb is false advertising.

The only one that is gigabit is the 1gb one. They correct heading should say FTTH to the home and then show the speeds.

What I see is "Great News! Gigabit Broadband is available at your address". Thats true, gigabit is available. Then under that is shows 3 options "Vodafone fiber broadband 150/300" or "Gigabit broadband 1000". Again thats correct. Which part is false? It would be false if they advertised gigabit then only allowed you to choose 150/300.

Advertisement