Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for 5th Year student

Options
  • 14-02-2019 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I'm in fifth year and I have something wrong with my hand which I don't want to mention but is medically diagnosed. I'm struggling to keep up with my 7 subjects and it takes me up to 4 hours to do my homework in the evening because of my hand. I'm kinda shy and don't really like to approach teachers that much as I'm afraid they'd think I'd use my hand as an excuse. I don't know what to do. Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

You won't be able to cope with proper exams unless you tell someone about your hand. Need to write 10+ pages for just English paper 1, if you do higher level.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

Hi G2fan- exams carry enough stress without the additional stress of trying to write when you are struggling with the medical condition that affects your hand. can you speak with a year head in school or someone you can trust, then you may be assisted by a scribe for the exams or during school days. There is a solution to the problem, hope you get the courage to talk to someone, well done for opening up here on boards, the very best of luck - keep us posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

Firstly, well done for seeking advice /help. That's a great start.
    Now keep seeking some more.

1. Identify the specific problem & issues
    E.g. Is it the medical issue itself, or only related to that, (support, fatigue, etc) or other?
    and what ways exactly does this hamper you? And then how might this be alleviated or remedied?

2. Articulate this to your parents, doctor and then a teacher you like and trust and who you think might be able to help you (they will all want to assist you as best they can)

3. Have an idea how you might get around this obstacle e.g. perhaps you could dictate your home work, text to type apps, or even just get assessed slightly differently in school to show you're learning e.g. verbally, Audio files or whatever
    (maybe research a bit online how others who have had similar issues to you have overcome them)

Keep seeking help,
    Good luck OP!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Would it be any better for you if you could use a laptop?
    That can certainly be organised if you have a medical condition, for the exams too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 G2fan

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    You won't be able to cope with proper exams unless you tell someone about your hand. Need to write 10+ pages for just English paper 1, if you do higher level.

The thing is is that the teachers know about it, but I'm really shy and don't like to make a big deal out of it, so I continue like it's not hurting. I feel like if I start saying it now they might think it's an excuse. And I'm not a person that wants to get on a bad side of a teacher since I do somewhat well in all subjects.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

G2fan wrote: »
    The thing is is that the teachers know about it, but I'm really shy and don't like to make a big deal out of it, so I continue like it's not hurting. I feel like if I start saying it now they might think it's an excuse. And I'm not a person that wants to get on a bad side of a teacher since I do somewhat well in all subjects.

Nothing is going to change if you do not tell someone. You certainly will not be the first person cleared to use a laptop/recorder/whatever works for you in a classroom or examination.

Mahony0509 wrote: »

All the teachers know, they just think I'm not struggling as much as I actually am because I don't show it. As in the other night I had to write 2 pages for Irish, along with an English poetry question. Both these teachers are probably the ones that are most worried about my condition but I don't have the guts to tell them up front how much I'm struggling so I just did it all and was in agony afterwards.

spurious wrote: »
    Nothing is going to change if you do not tell someone. You certainly will not be the first person cleared to use a laptop/recorder/whatever works for you in a classroom or examination.

I suppose your right. It's just finding the guts inside me to do it. I'm not a very sociable type.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

All the teachers know, they just think I'm not struggling as much as I actually am because I don't show it. As in the other night I had to write 2 pages for Irish, along with an English poetry question. Both these teachers are probably the ones that are most worried about my condition but I don't have the guts to tell them up front how much I'm struggling so I just did it all and was in agony afterwards.

You need to get this sorted and understood. You may actually be aggravating & making your condition worse by over doing it. Pain prevents us from injuring ourselves further, but only if we ' listen ' to it. It may be possible to prioritise some written homework over others, etc. Dictation devices and laptop tools could be of great use here.

Highlight this now. Your teachers will completely understand, it's the dossers that need excuses not the diligent ones!!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

I know it's hard but your going to have to tell them some way or another maybe write a note? I'm sure the teachers know how quiet you are so they'll understand.

And don't worry about them getting annoyed or whatever, if they are any bit a decent teacher or just person in general they'll understand, they are you teachers like they are there to make the exams as easy as possible for you.

Also just as a bit of encouragement, when you were saying you didn't want to use it as an excuse what are you going to say if you do bad in exams not necessarily because you didn't know the stuff but you just didn't get it wrote down, will you use the excuse then?

• Advertisement

mhiggy09 wrote: »
    I know it's hard but your going to have to tell them some way or another maybe write a note? I'm sure the teachers know how quiet you are so they'll understand.

And don't worry about them getting annoyed or whatever, if they are any bit a decent teacher or just person in general they'll understand, they are you teachers like they are there to make the exams as easy as possible for you.

Also just as a bit of encouragement, when you were saying you didn't want to use it as an excuse what are you going to say if you do bad in exams not necessarily because you didn't know the stuff but you just didn't get it wrote down, will you use the excuse then?

I suppose your right about the excuse thing. I did my JC last year and that was a real struggle. I got a Merit in English, but my teacher was obviously expecting at least a Higher Merit or even a Distinction from me. My hand held me back. Only getting about 3/4 of the paper finished. It's a nuisance

I suppose your right about the excuse thing. I did my JC last year and that was a real struggle. I got a Merit in English, but my teacher was obviously expecting at least a Higher Merit or even a Distinction from me. My hand held me back. Only getting about 3/4 of the paper finished. It's a nuisance

This is exactly why the SEC have a 'Reasonable accommodation' section.
    You should not be put at a disadvantage because of your hand.

Get your school to apply for either permission to use a laptop (if that would suit you), or the services of a scribe. If you get assigned a scribe, practice with someone else first. It's a bit different when you are getting someone else to write down your thoughts. Your mind can wander.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JamesMcClean

You have two issues here which need to be sorted and they are your hand and your shyness.

You got a worse grade in English in the JC than what you deserved because you were too shy to request a scribe/the aids which you need. It's something which a lot of people struggle with - social interactions and "making a fuss", but if you don't do it then I'm telling you nobody else will. Nobody knows how you're feeling, you're in control of your own life and the way you live it, and you know best whether you need a scribe/laptop or not.

Please just consider this - If you tell your teacher about your hand what's the worst that will actually happen? You actually think they're going to go home that day disappointed thinking "Oh, she's using her hand as an excuse to get out of writing"? No they won't, because they know about your condition. Basically what I'm saying is to stop thinking of yourself as a "shy" person and stop caring what other people think. You'll never really see these teachers again after you graduate. This is your life, your leaving cert, your future. If you want to throw it all away because you care too much over some teacher's opinion, then so be it. But just remember that teachers remember their students by the grades they got. And if you don't get the grades you deserve because you didn't want to "lower their opinion" of you, then you're actually doing that anyway by getting worse results.

Best of luck.

Advertisement