Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog & New Baby - Help

Options
  • 14-02-2019 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

Folks, need some help please!

We have just had a baby girl, and in preparation for bringing her home we done the pre work for the dog but the reality is very, very different!!

Shes a big strong dog and is not liking this new member of the family! Shes obsessed with the suspended baby cot down stairs and is constantly trying to get at the baby in it..lots of whining with frustration that she cant get at it! I am trying to positively reinforce positive behavior, treating her when resting on all fours, rewarding what behavior we like, if the baby makes noises, rewarding very good treats etc, but shes just so interested in everything its terrifying. Shes not an aggressive dog but very strong and heavy (2 years old) Shes almost knocked the whole thing over already and I gave her time out for what we dont like but i'm fearing the worst here!!

Has anyone has similar experience, can anyone shed some light, I presume its normal behvaiour but its not good being on edge constantly! (Dont worry we are not leaving dog and baby alone etc) Would love some advice from people who may have experienced similar issues!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Is she just trying to get a good sniff of her do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭S_D

Is she just trying to get a good sniff of her do you think?

Yeah I think so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

S_D wrote: »
    Yeah I think so

Maybe let her get a good sniff while you keep control of the situation.

Edit - I know cats and dogs are different, but with our cats if there is something they desperately want to get a look at, it's usually easier to just let them have a supervised look/sniff and then it's done with. Curiosity just gets the better of them.

I hear you but she’s a 30kg American staffy and holding her to do it is a massive challenge in itself ! One wrong move and it could be bad( she is not aggressive but you never know and cant trust a dog but even a head butt, paw, anything )

Maybe let her get a good sniff while you keep control of the situation.

Edit - I know cats and dogs are different, but with our cats if there is something they desperately want to get a look at, it's usually easier to just let them have a supervised look/sniff and then it's done with. Curiosity just gets the better of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

And what happens if you give her a babygro that you baby has worn to sniff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

PATIENCE is key!
    How long has the baby been home?
    Of course your dog is fascinated by this lovely smelly noisy arrival - she will very soon get used to the noise and the activity - probably by now shes calmed down and the novelty is starting to wear off. I remember when I brought my daughter home, the dogs were such a pain - mad to see what the heck was in the basket and making such a racket and such a lovely smelly squirming thing to be investigated. They soon got used to her, but it was a bit fraught and frantic until then. Hang in there and congratulations on the new arrival!

aonb wrote: »
    PATIENCE is key!
    How long has the baby been home?
    Of course your dog is fascinated by this lovely smelly noisy arrival - she will very soon get used to the noise and the activity - probably by now shes calmed down and the novelty is starting to wear off. I remember when I brought my daughter home, the dogs were such a pain - mad to see what the heck was in the basket and making such a racket and such a lovely smelly squirming thing to be investigated. They soon got used to her, but it was a bit fraught and frantic until then. Hang in there and congratulations on the new arrival!

thanks! You're right, she has since got over the new cot and noises lol! She can see into it and makes a few crys, but in the last 3 days its been a big improvement!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Staffies are such people-dogs.
    My sister has a beautiful staffie - her boys adore the dog and vice versa - when her youngest boy was born, it was July, and that dog wouldnt leave the babys side all of that month as there were so many flies around that summer (they live on a farm) - she guarded that baby from every fly that came into the house from sunrise til night. Joan evenually got a mosquito net type thing to drape the basket in cos the dog was exhausted being on high alert all day long :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Have you a stairgate that she could have a good close contact sniff, while being behind it? You'll need to get them eventually for the baby, so you may as well get them now:). My toddler is 3.5 now and I still have stairgates up, and even when she's able to operate them I'll still probably have them up because I've 4 dogs of my own and visiting dogs that I need to keep safe from her!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

I hear you but she’s a 30kg American staffy and holding her to do it is a massive challenge in itself ! One wrong move and it could be bad( she is not aggressive but you never know and cant trust a dog but even a head butt, paw, anything )

I find it very sad that you don't trust your dog - you say that she is not aggressive but you never know.
    I have a big dog who is not aggressive and I know her so well... I would never leave any dog unsupervised with kids so that is the right thing to do.

But if you feel like you can't hold the baby and let the dog have a smell then you have a problem. You need to get a trainer and do some work with the dog. In the meantime you could use baby gates and keep the dog confined in another room, but not locked away.
    What is your plan for when baby starts moving around?

You dog who loves you is feeling your unease and will be so confused... if you trusted her before imaging how upsetting it is.. she is probably trying to figure things out and dogs smell fear and unease and it makes them scared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

AryaStark wrote: »
    I find it very sad that you don't trust your dog - you say that she is not aggressive but you never know.
    I have a big dog who is not aggressive and I know her so well... I would never leave any dog unsupervised with kids so that is the right thing to do.

You have a husky don't you?

Different breeds "move" differently. Huskies move a certain way, almost cat like sometimes, they are almost balletic in their movements. A staffy is like a bowling ball on legs compared to it. I've had staffies leave serious scratch marks through clothes, by literally jumping up for a hug! And for their relatively short stature, they can knock you flying when jumping on you. They can be so over enthusiastic when looking for affection that they can do harm. I think that is what the OP was trying to convey, that even an unwitting paw could do serious damage. (I've had a fairly nasty looking scratched eye from a dog giving me the paw while sitting beside me on the couch!)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

100% Borderline. I trust my dog more than I trust most people, but I am super vigilant and keep between him and the baby because a stray paw, a whip with the tail, or a moment of excitement could really hurt the little one.

OP, I'm glad your dog is doing better. We gave the dog treats whenever the baby cried and now he has no issues with her crying, and will even alert me to her if I'm in the utility room and can't hear the baby monitor. It's just the excitement of the new arrival. Finn still gives the nappy a good sniff now and then but has calmed down an awful lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

You have a husky don't you?

Different breeds "move" differently. Huskies move a certain way, almost cat like sometimes, they are almost balletic in their movements. A staffy is like a bowling ball on legs compared to it. I've had staffies leave serious scratch marks through clothes, by literally jumping up for a hug! And for their relatively short stature, they can knock you flying when jumping on you. They can be so over enthusiastic when looking for affection that they can do harm. I think that is what the OP was trying to convey, that even an unwitting paw could do serious damage. (I've had a fairly nasty looking scratched eye from a dog giving me the paw while sitting beside me on the couch!)

Yes... I hadn't really though of it like that.. I was more thinking the op was worried the dog could bite.

I also re read my original post and didn't want to seem like I was judging the op.. sorry if it seemed like that! Am going through fertility treatment and thinking a lot about mixing dogs and babies successfully!

AryaStark wrote: »
    Yes... I hadn't really though of it like that.. I was more thinking the op was worried the dog could bite.

I also re read my original post and didn't want to seem like I was judging the op.. sorry if it seemed like that! Am going through fertility treatment and thinking a lot about mixing dogs and babies successfully!

Its ok :) I actually do trust her not to bite, i know she wouldnt BUT its still a dog, and as another posted mentioned, its a stray paw that would do the damage or a wagging tail.... shes a playful big baby, not an aggressive bone in her body buts its her pure strength that were fearful off. She could jump on the sofa and wind me in the process...imagine a 7lbs baby! :o

Also to add for people in a similar situation.. we got a 'Chicco' crib and its great. It can be setup quite tall and has mesh one side. The dog cant see in unless walking around the mesh side which she likes to do a lot,checks on baby and lies down beside it - its quite funny to watch! We have that in the sitting room too. its big but worth it. We just had to make sure the dog didnt jump up to look in! That was down to us and training.

So a little update.... The dog is doing so well! I have done some supervised 'sniffs' for 1/2/3 seconds at a time and thats really helped. It just allows her to see and sniff this new object to her closer and that its not a threat. The dog understands that this baby needs to be left alone and for the dog not to be jumping or acting up around the cot. I put this down to the wonderful training 'wonder paws' has done previously with her. Shes smart to know right from wrong. I know this sounds crazy but shes a big lump of a playful puppy who would bulldoze her way through the house and dragging everything in her path with her so this is very good for us! It really is a patience game and creating what behaviour we want & dont want.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Its ok :)

Also to add for people in a similar situation.. we got a 'Chicco' crib and its great. It can be setup quite tall and has mesh one side. The dog cant see in unless walking around the mesh side which she likes to do a lot,checks on baby and lies down beside it - its quite funny to watch! We have that in the sitting room too. its big but worth it. We just had to make sure the dog didnt jump up to look in! That was down to us and training.

be sure to use the Chicco straps to secure it to the bed etc.. as sturdy as they seem, they need it to work as designed safely
    we have 2 big dog babies also that now need protecting from a toddler :)

Advertisement