Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinion on removal of glass frame needed

Options
  • 14-02-2019 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

We are looking to remove an old glass frame partition and door between our hallway and living room and get a different frame and door in place of it.

The part of the wall just above the glass frame and the door seems to be solid concrete .

I am looking to find out if its safe to remove the frame and the door. We arent touching or modifying the wall . I've asked my builder and he said they he will have to check when removing by drilling a hole and see if the head is joined with the frame ( if the frame taking any load ) or not and then decide the next course of action .

I am wondering if I should get a structural survey done before anything done here or what should be the best course of action .

Unfortunately unable to attach a picture if that would ahve helped as i'm a new user..

This wall in the hallway leads straight up to the dining /kitchen and we had that wall knocked off . We did get a structural survey done before that wall was knocked off and the surveyor had confrimned then the wall was not load bearing . I cant get hold of that surveyor since :)

Many thanks ..

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Let the builder ‘open up’ and then make a call on it

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ajarms86

Yeah Bryan has it right, open it up and have look, yiu will very quickly be able to tell if its load bearing.

Advertisement