Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal fees

Options
  • 14-02-2019 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭

Are legal fees the same for buying as for selling? For a basic run of the mill situation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

rightmove wrote: »
    Are legal fees the same for buying as for selling? For a basic run of the mill situation.

Shop around.

I tried a number and fees were from €900 to €2k

I went with propertysolicitors.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭rightmove

Shop around.

I tried a number and fees were from €900 to €2k

I went with propertysolicitors.ie

My query is more around the difference between the fees for buying a house versus selling. Do solicitors charge less to sell them to buy as the workload may be less

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

Yes, there is. Selling is generally cheaper, but it depends on the property.

There are a lot of other fees on top of the professional fee to factor in too.

My query is more around the difference between the fees for buying a house versus selling. Do solicitors charge less to sell them to buy as the workload may be less

Still the same in a way from my answer, you need to shop around, then you have estate agents, other fees so shopping around is recommended.

Still the same in a way from my answer, you need to shop around, then you have estate agents, other fees so shopping around is recommended.

Ok so legal fees are generally less when selling a gaff rather then buying.

What would the avg % be for an estate agent. I have a guy that was looking after the gaff when rented and would like to give it to him unless I am being naive .

• Advertisement

Ok so legal fees are generally less when selling a gaff rather then buying.

What would the avg % be for an estate agent. I have a guy that was looking after the gaff when rented and would like to give it to him unless I am being naive .

I've hear anywhere from 1% of sale upwards.

I've hear anywhere from 1% of sale upwards.

Thanks from old posts it seems from 1 to 2 percent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

There's more checking, rechecking and diligence type stuff to get done for the purchaser than the vendor who already has done much of it previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

Agent fees depends on the agent and the value of the property.

Some charge a lower percentage but look for out of pocket expenses in advance. Shop around, get quotes - the cheapest isn't necessarily the best. I would personally look at who is completing sales on similar properties in the area and go from there. Property price register is your friend in figuring that out!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Note that the buyer will have to pay legal expense that a seller won't have to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement