Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering 4G WiFi at home instead of 7mb Eir Broadband

Options
  • 14-02-2019 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Our existing Eir Broadband download speed is “up to” 7mb (via Zyxel D1000 Modem / Router ) and after enquiring about upgrading to efibre I was told that the max D/L speed I could expect would be “up to” 18mb .

I’m also with Eir on my mobile phone and at home (Skerries, North County Dublin) I get download speeds of 10mb+ (at work in Dublin, top of O’Connell St, I’m getting speeds of 60mb+)

So I’m now thinking should I invest in a 4G WiFi Router, I’ve checked Comreg’s website were it shows the location of I.S.P.’s 4G Masts, see here, and Skerries looks well covered.

I’m thinking a Huawei B525 might be worth considering??

Looking at the rear, it has some Ethernet ports, so I’m thinking I could connect my TV, PS4 and Sat. Receiver via LAN and my Nest Thermostat, smart sockets, tablets, mobile phones etc via WiFi.

Would the Huawei B525 be good enough or is this broadband kit a better option, if it should work ( or is it over-kill !! ?? )

Anything else out there worth considering??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Do you want a €800 bill? Eirs mobile FUPs will hammer you.

Three is unlimited but expect 1-2Mb at night.

Advertisement