Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir FTTH versus Vodafone FTTH

Options
  • 13-02-2019 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Just asking if there's any difference in the quality of service as this service has miraculously arrived in my remote rural area in the last month... and now we have gone from pretty much no choice (Imagine 70MB only) to multiple choice of provider for super fast fibre broadband.

I have been a Vodafone customer for well over a decade and have found their customer service great... and their SueSignal product when it launched saved me bigtime as up to then had no mobile signal at all.... but Eir have installed this new FTTH network in our area and the business bundles are very good... I'm thinking 300MB as I have a graphics business and I could do with all the speed help I can get... 1000MB also looks great... especially for the 12 month contract... but long term... 1000MB is expensive at €96 + VAT @ 23%... so would drop to 300MB to renew.

Vodafone are all 18 month contracts... a bit off putting to be locked in for so long. New Imagine 5G 150MB is all 24 Month Contracts... and not as relaible and as consistent as FTTH.

Anyone have any very bad experiences with either, or is it essentially the same fibre cable and just all about the after sales Tech Support care..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Eir customer care has gone from bad to atrocious. Like truly terrible. Fully unlimited though.

Vodafone cc/billing works. 1TB cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭CreativeAnto

Thanks ED E for your reply and input.

I haven’t been with Eir since the old ISDN days.... so Vodafone are the only communications company I have been dealing with.

Eir’s Unlimited is truly unlimited, so you saying Vodafone is a 1TB cap per month, that’s still 1,000GB per month, not sure I would ever get through that in 1 Month unless I start downloading 40GB 4K movie files like crazy.... :)

Vodafone says unlimited on their pricing bundles. Where can I find the small print that states the 1TB monthly cap ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I would go with Eir and hope you don't need to call customer support. They have unlimited data and their FTTH network quality is really good.

Vodafone have a 1TB cap which isn't very helpful with a fast FTTH connection.

Whatever you do stay away from Imagine, speeds often go down to low single digits in the evening when you need the connection the most and they are more expensive than the basic FTTH packages, its only wireless broadband, not fibre at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭CreativeAnto

Thanks for your advice Gonzo... you are 100% right... I'm currently with Imagine... as it's an amazing service when you come from a 2MB connection.... but longterm FTTH is the best show in town... :)

Cheers again... :)

Advertisement