Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Rental in France

Options
  • 13-02-2019 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

Heading to France in a few weeks and need to rent a 7 Seater.
    Has anyone got any recommendations for Car Rental in France?

I've got a good price from carrentals.com but it is in dollars and I'm not too sure if there is an issue with insurance etc when renting via an american website.

Anybody book with carrentals.com previously?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

My advice would always be to check skyscanner. In Europe what you will find is the prices include insurance but with an excess. You can cover that either with the car rental company on arrival (very expensive) or through car hire excess insurance (much cheaper, but the car rental company will put a substantial amount on hold on your credit card).. Typically best to stay with mainstream companies, or if not, google the local operator for customer experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭FatB

I recently rented with Avis in Spain and found them great. They had the lowest deposit price by miles, the price of the actual rental was competitive and there was absolutely no hassle or issues. The car I was given had 1020km on the clock so was practically brand new (your mileage may vary literally ðŸ˜)

Second driver was free when we arrived but it wasn't clear when booking through avis.com

As said above, we covered the car hire excess seperately for peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,394 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You can cover that either with the car rental company on arrival (very expensive) or through car hire excess insurance (much cheaper, but the car rental company will put a substantial amount on hold on your credit card).. Typically best to stay with mainstream companies, or if not, google the local operator for customer experiences.

I rented from Europcar in Lanzarote last week, the excess was €870 but they only asked for a €300 hold on my credit card when I declined their insurance. It appeared briefly in my online CC account but then disappeared so it won't be on my next statement.

Which is another way of saying that you're 100% correct in advising people to stay with the big companies.

Advertisement