Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Producing car insurance question

Options
  • 13-02-2019 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello, so I was stopped by a member of the Garda traffic core at the beginning of October for no tax. I got the car taxed and paid the fine plus penalty points. Didn’t have my license on me at the time so I had to present it to my local station. Presented it and got a receipt. Unkowningly I also had to produce my insurance as well. I didn’t have insurance at the time (got it a week later and was mortified after finding out) but had a certifate of insurance issued to me previously which on paper shows that I’m insured for the date that I was stopped.

I have received a summons to court in March for no insurance. I contacted the guard in question and she stated that if I can produce a cert stating I had insurance then she will get the summons dismissed. I wasn’t insured at the time but the cert states I was. I’m taxed, nct’ed and fully insured now and was a week after it happened. I’m just wondering if I produced the cert would the guard check the date in question with the insurance company I was with to check if I was insured or would the cert be enough so that I don’t have to appear in court?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,201 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Seems to be a common enough practice for some people to take out insurance via monthly DD, receive a disc and cert only to cancel the DD after a month. I'd say it's the first thing the Garda will do when you produce the cert, is to verify it with the insurance company on the date of the offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭baldshin

If you produce a cert to the Garda which shows your were insured on the date, there's less than a 1% chance she will double check it with the insurance company. So it's all about if you can live with that on your conscience, knowing you weren't actually insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Driving without tax is not a penalty points offence, how did you get points for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Gardai regularly check with insurers to verify if a certificate produced is current or forged

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Curiousguy1234

didnt have seatbelts on so I got penalty points for that. Was just a quick drive down the town to grab a bite to eat. Was stupid of me but lesson learned. I don’t want to be disqualified from driving as my brother is sick at the moment and we need the car for hospital journeys. I’m just really worried and want to do my best to avoid a court appearance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

oh boy you really did it all... :-)

You didn't have insurance and if you present a bogus cert and they find out, they'll throw the book at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

New account
    No tax
    No insurance
    No sealtbelts

Imma take this thread with a pinch of salt..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

This is bad situation, but what's done is done. Honestly insurance are insane high on Ireland. We should make our insurance union or company. No joke! Only not classic style like big buildings and full of m.or an.s. They all work against you. This is 1 reason why it cost so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I'm confused , how did you not know you didn't have insurance? If you previously had insurance it should automatically renew unless you say otherwise to the company when they send you the quote , if you have new insurance they will tell you the exact time and date that becomes effective when you buy it?

Did you have a previous insurance disc but had actually cancelled the insurance and when you were then asked to produce the official cert you went and bought insurance hence the week later?

We all pay high premiums here and tbh it's lad's like yourself that drive the cost up , we all have situations we need our cars for family , friends etc that's why you should think before you act.

No insurance
    No tax
    No seat belts

Asking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

No tax, No insurance, No seat belt, your looking at up to 6 months in prison worst case scenario especially when they find out your dishonesty producing that cert. This scenario is unlikly but possible.

You could go to court and depending on circumstances it could be adjourned for a probation report..u may get comunity service with fine up to 5k insurance + up to 1k no tax

Best case scenario u produce that cert and it all gets dropped and not followed up. Possible considering the incompetitance of our police.

Good luck (DONT DO IT AGAIN) "Was just a quick drive down the town to grab a bite to eat" is NOT an excuse ever.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement