Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lens for Nikon D90

Options
  • 13-02-2019 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Always had a keen interest in photography but recently have developed a fascination with it. Don't have the funds to upgrade camera till around xmas so just want to pick up a nice prime lens to play around with.

I had a 50mm Canon prime lens but found the zoom too close sometimes, want to take some nice portrait shots but want some versatility, thinking 35mm Nikkor 1.8G but am open to suggestions, absolute novice so would love some advice from more experienced photographers as I can see myself delving deeper and deeper into it.

I have a Tamron 28-200mm lens and a Nikkor 35-80mm, neither anything special but suit me fine. Budget isn't huge so nothing over €150 second hand or €200 new, not sure how I can hide a €200 lens from herself but that's my problem to worry about!

Thanks in advance

Dave

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

If the lens is specifically for portrait work the the 50mm 1.8 makes a lot of sense. Since the D90 is a crop sensor it would make that 50mm more like a 80mm which is a very good focal length for portraiture.

But, as you've found it means the nifty fifty isn't very versatile as it is too long a lens for an everyday walk about lens. I had that trouble and picked up a Sigma 30mm f1.4 and it is a beauty of a lens. I was much happier with this and it practically never left my camera after I got it. The focal length for me was a great one for street photography, not too long, not too wide but just right.

Given you have a 35mm zoom you can even check this out for the time being and see how you like that as a fixed focal length. The F1.8 would obviously add a lot more to the lens as a prime, but you should get a good feel for it otherwise.

It all depends on what you want it for. No harm looking for these lenses second hand and taking it from there, if you decide it's not what you want then you can see them on for little loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I've a 35 2.0 on a crop, its mostly great for walkabout/shots of herself kinda thing. Canon is 1.6x crop, Nikons are 1.5 so yours would be a tad wider which would be nice.

Advertisement