Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cautionary tale about a pet purchased from marketplace site

Options
  • 13-02-2019 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

I know this comes up on this forum again and again, but yet another cautionary tale about a pet purchased off a well-known marketplace site. My niece bought a kitten off a private seller sourced through this pet-for-sale site a couple of weeks ago. Gorgeous little thing, she paid €100 for it which she thought was steep (it’s not a pedigree cat or anything) but the seller said they have to charge for kittens to avoid them being taken by unscrupulous sorts who would use them as dog fighting bait. Well, her problems began almost immediately, poor little kitten was showing signs of sickness almost straight away. She has been in and out of the vet numerous times, little guy is riddled with worms among other things and it looks now like he’s not going to make it.

I know she was very naive to buy from this site in the first place and she wasn’t knowledgeable enough to spot that he was sickly. But she was excited about getting a kitten and overlooked the warning signs. It’s a harsh lesson for her. So please, please, please don’t buy animals from these sites unless you have done serious due diligence! I have heard so many horror stories like this and there are some very unscrupulous people out there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Poor kitten.. I hope he makes it

I’m sorry but I have to say in 2019 I have no pity for the purchaser .. in this day and age the information regarding these sites everywhere .. people choose to ignore it.

And by purchasing via these sites it’s only fuels the trade .. and animals continue to suffer.

I’m also sorry to say who buys a kitten when there are loads up for adoption..

Anyway I hope the kitten makes it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Why would anyone pay €100 for a kitten? Loads of people are giving them away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

cocker5 wrote: »
    Poor kitten.. I hope he makes it

I’m sorry but I have to say in 2019 I have no pity for the purchaser .. in this day and age the information regarding these sites everywhere .. people choose to ignore it.

And by purchasing via these sites it’s only fuels the trade .. and animals continue to suffer.

I’m also sorry to say who buys a kitten when there are loads up for adoption..

Anyway I hope the kitten makes it
    Why would anyone pay €100 for a kitten? Loads of people are giving them away.
    That's what I would have thought, but she says she couldn't find any free ones as people are worried they'll be used in dog baiting??? Sounds crazy to me. I know you have to pay in rescues, but at least they are chipped, vaccinated, wormed etc.

You'd be amazed how naive people are though, I said it to a few of my family and friends that you should never buy off **** **** and the most common reply I got was 'why???' Like you, I would have thought it was common knowledge at this stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

ncmc wrote: »
    That's what I would have thought, but she says she couldn't find any free ones as people are worried they'll be used in dog baiting??? Sounds crazy to me. I know you have to pay in rescues, but at least they are chipped, vaccinated, wormed etc.

She didnt look very hard tbh.

It would have been cheaper for her to pay a rehoming fee with a registered charity then she would have been far less likely to be given a sick animal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

What is wrong with people that they avoid animal shelters. No sympathy for anyone buying off these sites it just encourages absolute chancers to get involved in breeding to make a quick buck.

• Advertisement

....... wrote: »
    She didnt look very hard tbh.

It would have been cheaper for her to pay a rehoming fee with a registered charity then she would have been far less likely to be given a sick animal.
    What is wrong with people that they avoid animal shelters. No sympathy for anyone buying off these sites it just encourages absolute chancers to get involved in breeding to make a quick buck.
    Absolutely, I agree 100% but you'd be amazed how many people don't do even basic due dilligence before buying pets. An awful lot of people don't realise the chancers and scam artists working off these sights. Throw in a story about how they are only charging money to make sure the kittens are given responsible homes :rolleyes: sure they look like stand up citizens then!

Absolutely, I agree 100% but you'd be amazed how many people don't do even basic due dilligence before buying pets. An awful lot of people don't realise the chancers and scam artists working off these sights. Throw in a story about how they are only charging money to make sure the kittens are given responsible homes :rolleyes: sure they look like stand up citizens then!

well in truth that's NOT 100% correct most people who rehome are ADVISED not to give a pet away for free for those exact reasons dog fight baiting, breeding etc

the fact is its all about "supply and demand" if you didn't have g*b****es wanting cats / dogs for nothing or for a very small fee and willing to buy these animals then there wouldn't be a demand and the g*b****es wouldn't be selling

Poor little guy didn't make it unfortunately. My niece is devastated, as I said, a very harsh lesson for her.

In all honesty .. sorry if this sounds harsh but it’s not about your neice .. it’s the kitten if feel for .. poor little guy

Again humans at fault on both sides

Poor little guy didn't make it unfortunately. My niece is devastated, as I said, a very harsh lesson for her.

I hope that the seller has been reported to the relevant authorities for failing to provide healthcare to a sick animal?

• Advertisement

I hope that the seller has been reported to the relevant authorities for failing to provide healthcare to a sick animal?

Report to who?

animal welfare is awful in Ireland

Report to who?

animal welfare is awful in Ireland

It is - but its not going to get any better if people dont make the reports.

Id also consider small claims for the 100 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭thebiglad

And the Vet fees...

thebiglad wrote: »
    And the Vet fees...

Good point.

If nothing else it might serve to put off the scummy person who sold a sick kitten from doing it in the future if they have to deal with Guards/animal cruelty officers asking questions, and financial claims.

It is - but its not going to get any better if people dont make the reports.

I agree but I'm asking report to who?
    what organisation will deal with this? can deal with this?

Small claims..
    was there a contract ?
    a receipt for the €100 having been paid over?
    Proof the kitten was ill when paid for in that instance?

no so its all hear say in the eyes of the law I'm afraid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Waste of time. Some great work going on in animal welfare in ireland but they are under huge pressure. A sick kitten that died is a long way down the priority list. They've bigger fish to fry with puppy farms, ill-managed farms, travellers etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

....... wrote:

Chances are the seller could only meet in a car park, contactable only through the FB market place and blocked the buyer soon after.
    Sad for the kitten and an expensive lesson for the buyer.

Chances are the seller could only meet in a car park, contactable only through the FB market place and blocked the buyer soon after.
    Sad for the kitten and an expensive lesson for the buyer.

You are probably right.

Small claims..
    was there a contract ?

Plus, with small claims court, I presume it would be like a private car purchase, you would have to prove that the seller knew the kitten was sick. Now I don't know the ins and outs of the purchase, but my niece is a smart woman, I doubt she would have bought the kitten if it was panned out dying. It only started showing signs of illness in the 36 hours after purchase. Now, maybe the seller is genuine and maybe she genuinely didn't know the cat was sick. But it's just a minefield buying from these sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

At the first signs of the kitten being ill I'd have contacted the seller if only to warn them there is an issue which could affect other kittens in the litter. 100 euro for a normal house cat however would raise alarm bells with me esp if there was no records from a VET, microchip etc.

• Advertisement

Plus, with small claims court, I presume it would be like a private car purchase, you would have to prove that the seller knew the kitten was sick. Now I don't know the ins and outs of the purchase, but my niece is a smart woman, I doubt she would have bought the kitten if it was panned out dying. It only started showing signs of illness in the 36 hours after purchase. Now, maybe the seller is genuine and maybe she genuinely didn't know the cat was sick. But it's just a minefield buying from these sites.

Has she contacted the seller since the kitten became ill?

pawrick wrote: »
    At the first signs of the kitten being ill I'd have contacted the seller if only to warn them there is an issue which could affect other kittens in the litter. 100 euro for a normal house cat however would raise alarm bells with me esp if there was no records from a VET, microchip etc.
    That's a good point, I might encourage her to contact the seller in case the litter mates are also in danger. I don't know if she has contacted her yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

In a way isn't the bigger question why someone like the OPs niece is willing to pay €100 to a seller - but not go to a shelter/rescue? Why, societally, many people have negative impressions of rescues/shelters and the animals from there?

Actually its not been clarified why the niece went to a private seller rather than a rescue/charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

That's true, it hasn't.
    I have no idea anyone buys* a cat or dog anyway, as my first reaction is always a rescue. But what does it take it make it everyone's first thought? I think in particular, first time pet owners.

*personally, I think buying a cat or dog is fine if you are looking for a working animal - to work or are into the breed and know about the breeding and are willing to pay for a well bred animal.

Actually its not been clarified why the niece went to a private seller rather than a rescue/charity.
    She claims she tried to get on from a rescue, but she wanted a smaller kitten and apparently none of the rescues she tried had smaller kittens. I never would have thought there was such an issue getting kittens, I thought rescues would have dozens.

She claims she tried to get on from a rescue, but she wanted a smaller kitten and apparently none of the rescues she tried had smaller kittens. I never would have thought there was such an issue getting kittens, I thought rescues would have dozens.

How small was the one she got?

Did she buy a kitten too small to be taken from its mother?

Its a timing thing with rescues, kitten season happens, but people like kittens so they fly out, then there are none til next kitten season.

How small was the one she got?

Did she buy a kitten too small to be taken from its mother?

Its a timing thing with rescues, kitten season happens, but people like kittens so they fly out, then there are none til next kitten season.
    No he defintely wasn't too small to leave his mother, I think he was 10/11 weeks

To add insult to injury, she got the vets bill today, €600 :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Small claims..
    was there a contract ?

She quiet obviously not a smart women .. for all the reasons mentioned above

And you also seem fixated on your neice being upset and the €100 she paid for the kitten and now you mention the €600 vet bill ... sorry but the kitten died? This is a living creature?

Advertisement