Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tallaght

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

I personally think the planning of such a big development of apartments is crazy, at the moment the traffic around that area is bad enough.
    Over the last number of years SDCC has allowed Tallaght to be turned into a town where there is more apartments for families with little taught regarding schooling, traffic management etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

it will be bigger than many other cities in this country in the next five years

"Town" doesn't cut it anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Satta Massagana

Ush1 wrote: »
    In other news there is a petition to stop the demolition of the Cuckoos Nest:

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/cuckoos-nest-tallaght-demolished-sdcc-15792845

Be a shame to see such a historic building knocked when it could be simply refurbished and reopened as a pub.

I signed the petition because the nest is such a historic building. It was there when Tallaght was just fields. It was also a big part of my life growing up in my teens & twenties.
    Many great memories.
    I can't see it being opened back up as a boozer in this day & age though.
    Its a sorry end to a great pub...

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Payton wrote: »
    I personally think the planning of such a big development of apartments is crazy, at the moment the traffic around that area is bad enough.
    Over the last number of years SDCC has allowed Tallaght to be turned into a town where there is more apartments for families with little taught regarding schooling, traffic management etc.

High density developments like this are absolutely the sort of developments to be encouraged. It's housing estates surrounded by fields, located off bypasses with meandering road layouts, with no amenities that lead to bad public transport and inevitable reliance on cars.

Also, in case you haven't realised, housing in Dublin is desperately needed. Objecting to the building of apartments in this area, a former factory site, is particularly ridiculous. It's 5 minutes walk to the Square Luas stop, has high frequency bus routes outside and is on a 4 lane main road.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

High density developments like this are absolutely the sort of developments to be encouraged. It's housing estates surrounded by fields, located off bypasses with meandering road layouts, with no amenities that lead to bad public transport and inevitable reliance on cars.

Ah, but SDCC have hedged their bets and freely allowed both, look at the creeping expansion of Ballycullen. From cows to semi-d's in a couple of years. SDCC really don't give a crap about the details or density, just as long as it keeps the LPT rolling in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Its a good point, also the apartments at the Shamrock Rovers stadium now have been given the go ahead also further adding to traffic in the general area.

81 units:

https://www.thejournal.ie/south-dublin-county-council-sean-walsh-4386907-Dec2018/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

The Arrogance of the Developers on the Cuckoos nest site is outstanding, to actively advertise a Gastro pub to potential buyers in the brochure and then put in for a 4 storey block of Apartments without thinking anything could come back and bite them in the arse really is something!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Its a good point, also the apartments at the Shamrock Rovers stadium now have been given the go ahead also further adding to traffic in the general area.

81 units:

https://www.thejournal.ie/south-dublin-county-council-sean-walsh-4386907-Dec2018/

Down the road in Greenhills on the old traders site, the developers were originally rejected planning permission for 48 apartments, they were eventually granted pp for 26 apartments , 2 storeys high with shops, pub etc. In Janurary they put in pp application for a further 22 apartments going up another storey with no extra planning for car parking etc. as you can imagine this hasn't gone down well with the locals. Anyone that knows that site/area would see why.

Pure greed.

Also, in case you haven't realised, housing in Dublin is desperately needed. Objecting to the building of apartments in this area, a former factory site, is particularly ridiculous. It's 5 minutes walk to the Square Luas stop, has high frequency bus routes outside and is on a 4 lane main road.

They maybe needed but not to the extent of what is planned. The 5 min walk to the Luas and the square doesn't really cut the mustard. The services in the area i.e. schools, clubs, amenities etc are severely lacking. So it ok to build 400+ apartments with maybe 50% of them with families so where to they go to school?. If your work is not on the luas line or one of the many bus routes that serves the area you have to drive.
    Around Tallaght Hospital is roughly 500 apartments? In the other areas of Tallaght there could be another 600+ apartments? so maybe we need more apartments in an already high density area. It's another Ballymun from the late 60's early 70's ( No offence to the people from Ballymun, we lived there for 4-5 yrs)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I signed the petition because the nest is such a historic building. It was there when Tallaght was just fields. It was also a big part of my life growing up in my teens & twenties.
    Many great memories.
    I can't see it being opened back up as a boozer in this day & age though.
    Its a sorry end to a great pub...

It was part of the original plans.

Those new houses at Temple Woods were sold to buyers on the premise that The Cuckoo's Nest would be refurbished into a Gastropub. They now plan to build 26 apartments with plans for less than adequate parking for the new apartments. This is going to clog up an already busy spot.

On top of this, there are currently only 36 dwellings in Temple Woods so far. Not all of them are yet occupied but there are already problems getting in and out of the estate due to the heavy traffic on Greenhills Road. Sticking another 26 homes on the site is madness!

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    It was part of the original plans.

Those new houses at Temple Woods were sold to buyers on the premise that The Cuckoo's Nest would be refurbished into a Gastropub. They now plan to build 26 apartments with plans for less than adequate parking for the new apartments. This is going to clog up an already busy spot.

On top of this, there are currently only 36 dwellings in Temple Woods so far. Not all of them are yet occupied but there are already problems getting in and out of the estate due to the heavy traffic on Greenhills Road. Sticking another 26 homes on the site is madness!

Totally agree, myself and my partner went in to view the houses and they are very nice but getting out on to the Greenhills road was a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I noticed there was no main Tallaght thread like there is for Dun Laoghaire so thought I'd start one, it is the biggest suburb in Ireland after all!

Interested in peoples opinions on the new development, Belgard Gardens:

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/fast-track-planning-sought-for-1-500-apartments-in-tallaght-1.3751214

It's a big number of apartments but maybe of better quality than the ones of the past, with better on site amenities. Not sure if it's a good thing that they are targeting mainly the rental market with the development also.

In other news there is a petition to stop the demolition of the Cuckoos Nest:

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/cuckoos-nest-tallaght-demolished-sdcc-15792845

Be a shame to see such a historic building knocked when it could be simply refurbished and reopened as a pub.

If it was making a decent profit it would still be in business. Go to any off licence in Tallaght on a Friday night and you will see why pubs are closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Edgware wrote: »
    If it was making a decent profit it would still be in business. Go to any off licence in Tallaght on a Friday night and you will see why pubs are closing.

It's been closed for a few years now.

The plans were to reopen it as a Gastropub. A lot of pubs have closed but the ones that have thrived have been the ones that have pivoted and realised that there's serious margin to be made in food. The area is screaming out for something like a Gastropub.

Another main difference would be that the old Nest was enormous. And it was making a killing in the good old days. Those days aren't exactly back, but a smaller style pub would be much more suited to the climate, which was the original plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

Since the nest closed, the bar in the community centre (across the road) has boomed, even opening a second bar for their busier nights.

Molloys pub in the village & The Penny Black in Tymon have both gotten a fair bit busier too.

If the Nest reopened as a smaller pub it would do well.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    It's been closed for a few years now.

The plans were to reopen it as a Gastropub. A lot of pubs have closed but the ones that have thrived have been the ones that have pivoted and realised that there's serious margin to be made in food. The area is screaming out for something like a Gastropub.

Another main difference would be that the old Nest was enormous. And it was making a killing in the good old days. Those days aren't exactly back, but a smaller style pub would be much more suited to the climate, which was the original plan.
    I think you are right there. A smaller more "local" size pub with a bit of community spirit there and stuff like a golf society, sports TV only, could get the steady pint drinkers back in. No need for a big food scene but maybe toasted sandwiches. Soup, tea, coffee. Kilnamanagh Greenhill has a fairly mature population who would be good pint men. But then is the pub owners interested in that market.

http://www.echo.ie/news/article/objections-lodged-against-marlet-plans

Objections lodged against Belgard Gardens, too much residential and not enough commercial space among other things.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I think you are right there. A smaller more "local" size pub with a bit of community spirit there and stuff like a golf society, sports TV only, could get the steady pint drinkers back in. No need for a big food scene but maybe toasted sandwiches. Soup, tea, coffee. Kilnamanagh Greenhill has a fairly mature population who would be good pint men. But then is the pub owners interested in that market.

The food makes the profits these days, not the pintmen. Nobody is going to open that kind of pub on a high demand site.

sugarman wrote: »
    Dont really see the point in any more commercial space, just look at the shear number of empty units up and around Tallaght Cross that have either never been occupied or where so very briefly. Some units are absoutely massive too.

True but is it slowly starting to fill up? The Flyefit opening and a couple of medical centres are there also.

If there is 1500 apartments to be added I can see it needing some shops fairly quickly.

True but is it slowly starting to fill up? The Flyefit opening and a couple of medical centres are there also.

If there is 1500 apartments to be added I can see it needing some shops fairly quickly.
    Why would they put shops there and the square close by. It's the likes of schools, green spaces and amenities for these people. Then again it's SDCC I won't be holding my breath.

Why would they put shops there and the square close by. It's the likes of schools, green spaces and amenities for these people. Then again it's SDCC I won't be holding my breath.

They would need those amenities also but there was a Spar at the Luas stop before it became a flooring shop. Surely there would be demand for a handy shop there with that amount of people going to be living there? I know I wouldn't want to be walking over into the square every time I wanted a pint of milk.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    The food makes the profits these days, not the pintmen. Nobody is going to open that kind of pub on a high demand site.
    I agree with you. Its all about profit and throwing up carvery dinners in an area of a number of industrial estates will get the money in.
    Thats what the publican wants. I lived in North London near the Arsenal and we had some grand local pubs where the landlord made a good living from running a nice local. We had our own Gunners Supporters Club, quiz nights, darts league etc but Dublin doesnt seem to want that type of pub. People stock up at the off licence and to hell with having a good local

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The value of liquor licences here ensures that those kind of pubs won't make a living for the owner - the licence is worth 6 figures again so you've got either debt servicing costs hanging over you or a nagging feeling of an opportunity cost.

Dublin co-living development refused planning permission https://jrnl.ie/4695156

A great decision for Tallaght!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The verdict from ABP. Likely to have a similar response to the Dun Laoghaire proposal.

D96xhseXYAAk8_m.jpg

D96xhsfWkAA8zpE.png

Advertisement