Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allowances - New Home

Options
  • 12-02-2019 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭

In the process of getting a new home and wondering if these allowances are good enough?

Tiling including kitchen, WC, utility = 700

Fitted kitchen = 3000

3 wardrobes = 1800

Painting = 2700

Carpets = 2800

Fireplace = 1400

2x Bathrooms = 1150

Your opinions are welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

How long is a piece of string really.
    Some of your allowances seem pretty spot on, others imo are underestimated.
    If you're not intending to fit the kitchen yourself for a modest enough kitchen you can easily pay double your allowance. Go and get on kitchen planners and get a few kitchens drafted up with a quote. My kitchen isn't big but I paid short of 6k for it including appliances.
    I also don't know what exactly you estimate for bathrooms. A complete fit out including shower/tub? No way. Decorating it, absolutely no problem.
    Tiling might be on the small side too, but then again there are many variables that we don't know of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I get your point. Do you think these allowances are negotiable or am I going to give them a good laugh.

Kitchen, yes, we are going to upgrade it definitely.

One bathroom has standing shower and the other comes with a tub.
    LirW wrote: »
    How long is a piece of string really.
    Some of your allowances seem pretty spot on, others imo are underestimated.
    If you're not intending to fit the kitchen yourself for a modest enough kitchen you can easily pay double your allowance. Go and get on kitchen planners and get a few kitchens drafted up with a quote. My kitchen isn't big but I paid short of 6k for it including appliances.
    I also don't know what exactly you estimate for bathrooms. A complete fit out including shower/tub? No way. Decorating it, absolutely no problem.
    Tiling might be on the small side too, but then again there are many variables that we don't know of.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,940 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

2x Bathrooms = 1150

What is 2x bathrooms? Supply & fit bath, shower, toilet, basin, rad etc? Are you including going to get these bathrooms tiled?

Depending on how much work is involved the plumbers labour alone "could" be 1150 or higher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Fitted kitchen could be anything from €1,000 to €20,000 and upwards
    In the process of getting a new home and wondering if these allowances are good enough?

Fitted kitchen = 3000

3 wardrobes = 1800

Painting = 2700

Carpets = 2800

Fireplace = 1400

2x Bathrooms = 1150

Your opinions are welcome.

That's 2 bathrooms. Yes, both comes with radiator, toilet, shower (shower door not included), sink and tiling.

It says "supply and fit MDF"
    Sleeper12 wrote: »
    What is 2x bathrooms? Supply & fit bath, shower, toilet, basin, rad etc? Are you including going to get these bathrooms tiled?

Depending on how much work is involved the plumbers labour alone "could" be 1150 or higher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Id say your budget for the kitchen and bathroom.are both very tight .

That's 2 bathrooms. Yes, both comes with radiator, toilet, shower (shower door not included), sink and tiling.

I'm still not sure if you are talking about the materials, the labour or both.

You mentioned a shower without a door but no mention of a shower itself. A mixer shower without a pump is a few hundred euros on its own without labour

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

You mentioned a shower without a door but no mention of a shower itself. A mixer shower without a pump is a few hundred euros on its own without labour

Maybe from your company it is.

So to clarify if I don't upgrade anything, these items are inclusive of labour, materials, and other associated costs.

Dishwasher and washing machine are included also in the price, again inclusive of supply and fitting of these.

Given these, missus wish to upgrade kitchen and a bathroom. So that's going to cost 4-6k I assume.

Maybe from your company it is.

We don't do mixer showers at all. We don't repair them nor supply them. I'm just trying to give op some idea of the cost of the bathroom

• Advertisement

Appreciate your advice. Please provide any other hidden charges if you can.
    We don't do mixer showers at all. We don't repair them nor supply them. I'm just trying to give op some idea of the cost of the bathroom

So to clarify if I don't upgrade anything, these items are inclusive of labour, materials, and other associated costs.

OK I get you now. Builder is suppling bog standard bathroom furniture Inc in the price. It really is how long is a piece of string then. It all depends on how high a standard you want. I was in the Aqualisa factory in the UK a few years ago and they had a rain shower head for £1000 plus vat! You can get a rain head from around €50. Not the same quality but it will be functional.

The most noticeable upgrade you can make to the bathroom is to install a decent pump if none is being provided. If the bathrooms are upstairs and there is no pump you'll have to run around the shower to get wet the pressure will be so bad. A shower door can be anything from €150 upwards. The builder will most likely provide rubbish shower mixer valve & basin taps. It might be worth spending a little extra on these.

Could you send me the link for a reasonably good priced bathroom and kitchen items?

It says 1 heating pump wilo included, is the pump you're talking about? To get proper shower pressure.

Gas boiler is 60,000 btu output.
    OK I get you now. Builder is suppling bog standard bathroom furniture Inc in the price. It really is how long is a piece of string then. It all depends on how high a standard you want. I was in the Aqualisa factory in the UK a few years ago and they had a rain shower head for £1000 plus vat! You can get a rain head from around €50. Not the same quality but it will be functional.

The most noticeable upgrade you can make to the bathroom is to install a decent pump if none is being provided. If the bathrooms are upstairs and there is no pump you'll have to run around the shower to get wet the pressure will be so bad. A shower door can be anything from €150 upwards. The builder will most likely provide rubbish shower mixer valve & basin taps. It might be worth spending a little extra on these.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The heating pump is to circulate water in the radiators, not showers.

The showers fitted by the builders will be functional and there is no advantage to rushing to replace them.

Most new houses come with a fitted kitchen (of questionable quality), and either sufficient wall area tiled in the kitchen and bathrooms or an allowance/voucher to get said tiling done - however the floor may be bare concrete or boards in both.

Similarly, fitted wardrobes as part of the spec have been the norm for decades but again not always. You need to get an exact spec from the builders of what they are, and aren't providing. Walls are often - not always - painted to a neutral colour and you can postpone painting to taste until funds allow

Carpets are never included, wood/fake-wood floors where they make sense are very rarely included, tiled floors even more rarely included; curtains never normally included. Maybe ten years ago I saw some developments that came with slatted wooden blinds included but not recently.

It says 1 heating pump wilo included, is the pump you're talking about? To get proper shower pressure.

As L1011 says heating pump is just a circulation pump & has nothing to do with the shower pressure. Again following on from what L1011 says you need to find out what is included in your price before looking for upgrades. I don't know if they still do this but up until recently plastered walls were an optional extra on a lot of sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

My estimate for doing things budget conciously for a small 3 bed place:

Fitted kitchen = 3000 6000

3 wardrobes = 1800 4000
    if you do noose ikea wardrobes = 1800

Painting = 2700

Carpets (flooring) = 2800 4500

Fireplace = 1400

2x Bathrooms = 1150 Is this a price for cleaning them?
    2 x bathroom fitout = 15000

Bluefoam wrote: »
    My estimate for doing things budget conciously for a small 3 bed place:

Fitted kitchen = 3000 6000

3 wardrobes = 1800 4000
    if you do noose ikea wardrobes = 1800

Painting = 2700

Carpets (flooring) = 2800 4500

Fireplace = 1400

2x Bathrooms = 1150 Is this a price for cleaning them?
    2 x bathroom fitout = 15000

I spilt my coffee reading that in bold! :)

It took me a few tries to get my head around what the OP means. Now I'm pretty sure that its a new build & it will include fitted out bathroom minus the shower door. I think OP is asking how much they should allow for the shower door & any upgrades/extras in the bathroom.

Indeed, it is a new build home. Everything will be furnished and the prices I mentioned earlier includes basic materials, if we wish to upgrade to a premium carpet/bathroom then we need to pay the remaining amount from our pocket separately. And this amount will not be on the mortgage price.
    I spilt my coffee reading that in bold! :)

It took me a few tries to get my head around what the OP means. Now I'm pretty sure that its a new build & it will include fitted out bathroom minus the shower door. I think OP is asking how much they should allow for the shower door & any upgrades/extras in the bathroom.

Advertisement