Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fibre to cat5e

Options
  • 12-02-2019 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Waiting on an installation from KN on behalf of Eir, so when it happens can they connect fiber to an already existing cat5e network and do they provide a new router or will the old Netgear cope.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The ONT (small white box) will do that conversion for you. It needs power. Have a read of the FTTH threads as this is all well trodden ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 softlad

The ONT being the modem, I assume, if it only is installed at the usual first point and then distributed wirelessly, it will negate the cat5 and patch panel that is set up in the attic unless I can redistribute it to there over cat5 how much of the signal is reasonable to expect to lose
    ED E wrote: »
    The ONT (small white box) will do that conversion for you. It needs power. Have a read of the FTTH threads as this is all well trodden ground.

softlad wrote: »
    The ONT being the modem

No, try reading the thread or the glossary that is stickied.

Yes Sir found what youd said takes a bit off reading, had to check which cable it was too, turns out cat5e ,so behind these two points is the old entry for Eir which goes up to the router in the attic. now they will come in beside these and put the ONT, can I then port into one of these and distribute through the patch panel in the attic or what's the best way.
    ED E wrote: »
    No, try reading the thread or the glossary that is stickied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Yes Sir found what youd said takes a bit off reading, had to check which cable it was too, turns out cat5e ,so behind these two points is the old entry for Eir which goes up to the router in the attic. now they will come in beside these and put the ONT, can I then port into one of these and distribute through the patch panel in the attic or what's the best way.

You have two options:

1) Leave the router beside that network point then plug a cable from a LAN port on the router to one of those points (24 or 25). All other points now should have internet access.

2) Connect the ONT to one of the points (24 or 25). You'll then need to go to the patch panel and connect the corresponding patch port to the WAN port of the router. Then connect a LAN port on the router to your switch which I presume is located beside the patch panel. The benefit of this is having the router out of sight.

• Advertisement

Thanks, for responding i can understand that, another question, the old duct from the pole only has the original phone line in it, no rope, in your experience do they attach the fiber cable and use it to pull through.

Thanks, for responding i can understand that, another question, the old duct from the pole only has the original phone line in it, no rope, in your experience do they attach the fiber cable and use it to pull through.

They are not meant to however it may happen. They usually will try to push a fibreglass rod through the duct then use it to pull the cable through. Hopefully your duct is clear.

Was curious myself the last day as I had put the duct in from the pole, I left a bend in it so the water would run back to point, where I was able to cut it some amount of water over the years came out, I then put an old Hoover to one end and seemed fairly clear, after,. Do they go to any trouble if it's anyway difficult at all,. What is the idea of leaving the old line in does the phone still come in on it.

Was curious myself the last day as I had put the duct in from the pole, I left a bend in it so the water would run back to point, where I was able to cut it some amount of water over the years came out, I then put an old Hoover to one end and seemed fairly clear, after,. Do they go to any trouble if it's anyway difficult at all,. What is the idea of leaving the old line in does the phone still come in on it.

I don't think they'll go to a lot of trouble though it depends on the individual installer. It will be up to yourself to get it fixed if there are issues with the ducting. The company doing the installations KN Networks are apparently now offering duct repair though it will be at your expense.

The reason for leaving it I believe is if someone got fibre then wished to go back to a traditional landline only service which at the minute can be only delivered over copper. The fibre can carry phone but at the minute it has to be bundled with an internet connection.

Also if there is an existing service on the copper line it is a bad idea to use it as a pull rope as if something goes wrong you're left with nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

KN Networks do not own the copper so they are not entitled to interfere with it in any material way.
    They have permission to use an eir duct to insert the fibre cable, and presumably to use a customer duct if the customer wants the service.

• Advertisement

KN Networks do not own the copper so they are not entitled to interfere with it in any material way.
    They have permission to use an eir duct to insert the fibre cable, and presumably to use a customer duct if the customer wants the service.

KN dont own any of the plant they work on and that has nothing to do with it. They work with said copper daily.

They were prevented from removing in GPON installs as it was seen to be anti competitive for OLOs who didnt want to offer those RAPs.

Advertisement