Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

mame build at last

Options
  • 12-02-2019 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

At last getting around to building my long promised mame machine to go in my collection.
    Looking to make my life as easy as possible by getting advice from the people who have done this previously.
    The build is going into my 6 button electrcoin xenon cab and i will be using the original monitor.
    What would you advise regarding hooking up to the cab? Particularly the monitor.
    Raspberry pi or old pc components?
    Any tips welcome.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

cheapo option: Rasberry pi with pi2jamma adapter. Little bit of soldering required for buttons 4/5/6

best (but far more expensive) option:

-A PC with decent processor

-r9 380x graphics card (last graphics card made with VGA out though the DVI-I port). Install emudriver and run groovymame for pretty much pixel perfect emulation on your CRT.

-Ultimarc J-PAC to connect the PC to the controls and video. Has screw terminals for buttons 4/5/6

-Audio Amp (can solder power and audio left/right to the j-pac pins)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Definitely build with a pc in mind, I find the Pi is fine for a quick pick up and play, but in a cab, I'd want something with the pure minimum input lag I could find...that's a PC with RetroArch's "Run Ahead" feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭sundodger5

I assume the r9 380 is the rolls royce option?
    In my head i was going to pick up an old i3 or i5 and throw in an nvidia 9500gt i have knocking about. It has passive cooling so will help with noise.
    Barking up the wrong tree?

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

sundodger5 wrote: »
    In my head i was going to pick up an old i3 or i5 and throw in an nvidia 9500gt i have knocking about. It has passive cooling so will help with noise.

They are around 80 euro and are great if you want to play any 3d games like naomi on demul (although interlaced 640x480 is a bit mad on the eyes on your hantarex monitor).

If you only want to play 90s arcade games then a lower spec card would be fine. A Radeon 5000 series or higher will be perfect for emudriver compatibility. Nivida cards are not compatible.

Google search for emudriver and groovymame to find out more. The 90s arcade games will look perfect on it.

I've a few cabs (including 2x xenons) with that type of pc setup and some with the pi2jamma. pi2jamma is actually great for 90s games and is silent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

sundodger5 wrote: »

I'd go with the most grunt you can afford, because you might end up wanting to run things like SFIV, Radien IV, and other more modern arcade systems/games. If you build bare bones, you'll hit a limit in terms of what you can run. Don't go dropping silly money, buy used, but try not end up limited by specs if you can avoid it.

Advertisement