Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just moved in - Now housemates wants me to move out

Options
  • 12-02-2019 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi guys

Quick one for you - any help appreciated.

Long story short - I moved into a 2 bedroom apartment in Dublin City Centre 3 weeks ago - it was a share with another guy who also mentioned in the ad that his boyfriend would be there all the time and was pretty much living there full time aswell save for the odd night - rent and bills were to be split 50 50 even though there was essentially 3 of us living there - I didn't complain, didn't mind paying half as the apartment and location suited me.

He suggested we play it by ear and initially start off with a 3 month thing and if it worked out we'd go the full year as he hadn't shared with a stranger before - again I was cool with this.

I'm quiet, spend most of the time in work, in my room or in my folks, so I'm no hassle to live with - in the 3 weeks I've been here I've gotten on with my housemate and his boyfriend, I pull my weight, tidy etc.

Anyways last night he comes back from a weekend away, tells me his heads all over the place, he needs space and his own place again and feels bad but is asking me to move out.

I have signed nothing in terms of a lease - the property management company knows he has intentions to sublet but he hasn't informed them I've moved in 3 weeks ago - I have an email from them to him which he forwarded me last week asking for my references etc for property owner so they knew I was moving in but they don't know ive moved in yet or he is now out of the blue asking me to leave.

Just to reiterate I haven't done anything wrong, we got on well, paid my deposit and rent in full, provided work and LL references etc. His boyfriend is a slob, doesn't clean up, makes a mess of the place, eats my food without asking - I let all this slide, and am now majorly annoyed that 3 weeks in he's asking me to move out as he's dealing with 'personal stuff' - seems a kop out to me.

I had to arrange time off work to move, pay for delivery lorry, and now I'm gonna have to take more time off work, pay for another lorry, and find somewhere else to live in just 2 weeks - he wants me out by the 28th

Do I have any rights? Can I go over his head to property management company? If he has personal stuff to deal with or didn't think a share through, he'd have known it 3 weeks ago, I don't see how he can now use this as an excuse 21 days later
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

You can definitely dig your heels in and do what suits you. But would you want to live with this pair long term is the main question? If you do move out do it on your own timeframe not his.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

move out and move on, you're far better off.

p.s. you have no real rights and even if you had why would you want to make trouble with you new housemate by seeking to enforce them on him!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Just agree to move out as soon as you have secured alternative accommodation and casually drop the fact that you expect your deposit back and expect him to pay the moving costs. Not that you're entitled to it, but may as well make out like you expect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭daheff

Just agree to move out as soon as you have secured alternative accommodation and casually drop the fact that you expect your deposit back and expect him to pay the moving costs. Not that you're entitled to it, but may as well make out like you expect it.

absolutely. They have messed you around and its now costing you extra money, time and effort having to find somewhere else to live again.

next time also make sure you get a lease &receipt as you pay your deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

Brego888 wrote: »
    You can definitely dig your heels in and do what suits you. But would you want to live with this pair long term is the main question? If you do move out do it on your own timeframe not his.

Not really. You are a licencee with no rights and can be evicted at will with "reasonable notice" which is no more than 2 weeks if you have only just arrived in recent weeks.

In any case the practical advice is the real message here, even if you could stay why would you want to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

House sharing sucks as you have zero rights unless you are the one renting the property and sublet rooms.

Try to get a studio or a small 1 bedroom apartment in a less desirable location then you are not at the mercy of other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,764 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

MSVforever wrote: »
    House sharing sucks as you have zero rights unless you are the one renting the property and sublet rooms.

Try to get a studio or a small 1 bedroom apartment in a less desirable location then you are not at the mercy of other people.

OTIH if you are sharing and not on the lease, you can leave at a moments notice and not be liable for the rent.

Most houseshares wprk well. Situations like the OPs are rare -a nd its usually best to move out ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 News Carver

Thanks for the feedback guys

Head is wrecked- effort of moving- really liked the place, it’s just a **** buzz having this done to you I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Thanks for the feedback guys

Head is wrecked- effort of moving- really liked the place, it’s just a **** buzz having this done to you I guess

I’ve been there with having to move out of a place not long after moving in. The landlord’s nephew was moving to Cork where I was living and wanted my room. I had three housemates who had been there long-term so it was a last-in-first-out dealie. It truly was a pain.

But honestly, the situation seemed kinda crappy for you anyway - paying 50/50 when you are basically living with two other people? You might find somewhere where you get more space to yourself for your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I have signed nothing in terms of a lease - the property management company knows he has intentions to sublet but he hasn't informed them I've moved in 3 weeks ago - I have an email from them to him which he forwarded me last week asking for my references etc for property owner so they knew I was moving in but they don't know ive moved in yet or he is now out of the blue asking me to leave.
    If he's subletting to you, it means that this is a landlord/licensee arrangement, where you have no rights at all.

Perhaps tell him you'll leave before the end of the month (if you've paid for that length). Giving him a definite date should keep him happy, and allow you some time to get a place sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Fian wrote: »
    Not really. You are a licencee with no rights and can be evicted at will with "reasonable notice" which is no more than 2 weeks if you have only just arrived in recent weeks.

In any case the practical advice is the real message here, even if you could stay why would you want to?

+1 to this. You have no rights and if he wanted to. He could kick you out today.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ammonite

Sounds like you are better off out of there OP. Bad way to treat someone. Maybe the housemate wants him and his boyfriend to have the place to themselves, and is just making an excuse regarding needing his "own space".

I know it's a pain. I had my fair share of stress and grief over the years with people in house shares.

It may be hassle to move and give up a nice central location and apartment - but you might find a less fancy/convenient place with nicer people. That's preferable any day!

Advertisement