Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming for Subsistence Query

Options
  • 12-02-2019 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi I am wondering does anyone know how you would claim subsistence back from the revenue?
    I work all over Dublin and pay for my own lunches each day which I thought was normal(I don't receive any allowances from my employer)
    I heard that possibly I could be entitled to a rebate from revenue?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,301 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

https://www.revenue.ie/en/employing-people/employee-expenses/travel-and-subsistence/index.aspx
    sets the tax free limits agreed with revenue for amounts paid by your employer.

IIRC there is no basis for any tax credits/rebates from Revenue for subsistence and there is a move afoot to curtail any existing allowances for clothing etc

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭fankity flank

Jerry5 wrote: »
    Hi I am wondering does anyone know how you would claim subsistence back from the revenue?
    I work all over Dublin and pay for my own lunches each day which I thought was normal(I don't receive any allowances from my employer)
    I heard that possibly I could be entitled to a rebate from revenue?
    Thanks

That's not really how it works. These rates are Revenue approved, in that your employer is allowed to pay you these predetermined amounts without deducting tax - and the payments are tax free in your hands.

If travel forms a large part of your work you should negotiate with your employer to get recompensed for these subsistence & mileage claims.

Note there are restrictions to these rates in terms of tax treatment, so you should read up on these at the Revenue website before proceeding.

Advertisement