Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Draught under kitchen units

Options
  • 11-02-2019 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

First post !
    We have a small bit of draught from under the kitchen units which can be felt when standing near the kickboard close to the dishwasher .There is also a small gap /wedge at the top of the kick board there from where we see feel the cold
    I normally dont notice it as much but yesterday was probably quite cold and with the room at 21 degrees after an hour of heating, it was around 16.5 degrees on my small thermal detector.
    temperature outside was around 4 degrees in the back garden .

We had the walls insulated few years back and as far as i remember the edges where the plasterboard met the floor was completely sealed off with expanding foams.I dont see any leakes and the sink is on the other end of the kickboard so I dont suspected a mains pipe or anything ..

any suggestions.?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

You could check where the waste pipe for the sink or dishwasher goes through the wall.it may not be sealed between pipe and block

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

I have similar issues in my house and on a new build where the builders didn't seal around the waste pipe coming though the tile at the back of the bathroom cabinet. Easy fix, expanding foamor stuff in insulation if you have any.
    Last weekend I pulled off all the kit hen unit kickboards and made the base of the plasterboard as air tight as possible with packed in insulation from a left over roll. Ever little draft you stop helps

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Wartburg

It´s a very common problem in existing houses, I´m afraid. I had it in almost every house, I surveyed. It ended all the time in nice thermal images as the attached one. Waste pipes and supply pipes even need attention in case they haven´t been brought trough the wall. Very often they´ve been installed to the block and there´s no plaster around or in between the pipe. Uncovered block on perimeter walls will lead to air infiltration.
    Last weekend I pulled off all the kit hen unit kickboards and made the base of the plasterboard as air tight as possible with packed in insulation from a left over roll. Ever little draft you stop helps
    You spotted the right area for insulation upgrade, but insulation, coming from a roll, is never air tight. The better option would be an air tight foam or a backer rod in conjunction with an air tight sealant on top.

Advertisement