Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing FTTC provider : how long does it take?

Options
  • 11-02-2019 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering if anyone's had any recent experience of changing from Eir retail to another FTTC provider?

Does it take long?
    Is there any down time? If so, how long?

I'm hoping the modem's going to be out before the service goes down and it's just a matter of swapping them out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Yep ..

Generally just that. Once your existing service drops, connect the new modem, be happy.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

That's exactly what happened:

Order went in on Monday. Eir service dropped on Tuesday afternoon and I temporarily reconfigured the F2000 modem to Digiweb's settings pending delivery of the new one which has arrived today.

What's surprised me is Digiweb's network seems more responsive. Pings are lower and everything's just snapping along very nicely even though the line speed hasn't changed at all and until yesterday, even the router was exactly the same hardware.

Pretty decent ISP by the looks of things.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I just changed from Vodafone to Eir. I contacted Eir on a Monday, and they said I would get a new modem the next day which I did. The following day (Wed) I discovered my home phone (POTS) was dead. Checked my broadband which was working, and contacted Eir by mobile and the told me the phone would be IP based. Took a few hous but was back on same day. Was surprised that the Vodafone modem had been working on the Eir service.

Changed mdems, put the names and passwords from the VF modem and everything worked flawlessly.

Overall, quite easy.

Yeah I think some services don't care what the username and PW is, others do.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

EdgeCase wrote: »
    Yeah I think some services don't care what the username and PW is, others do.

I am talking about the home network name and the WiFi passwords.

• Advertisement

Yeah if you just duplicate the SSID and passwords, you'll have no reconfiguration.

The VoIP phone service on Digiweb is excellent. The FritzBox even works as a DECT base station so full digital calls without any analogue step at all. It even has a web accessible phone book that it synced with my Siemens/Gigaset handsets!

All in all, very impressed with them so far. I also got their newer FritzBox which supports 35b vectoring when it comes in. I ordered up a couple of Mesh repeaters for it too (online separately)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I've never heard a bad word about either Digiweb or Airwire on here. Only two providers worth considering when you are out of contract IMO.

I guess there is also Westnet but they only offer the service to a very limited area.

Advertisement