Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meter Box full of Water

Options
  • 11-02-2019 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

Hey team, I asked this over in the plumbing section for advice with no replies

Water froze last weekend, temps not that low, common problem for us
    decided to check the meter and after opening cover discovered it was nearly full
    to the top with water!  is this normal, my suspicion is its freezing at the meter junction too causing our mains to stop

I would presume it should be dry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

BobMc wrote: »

decided to check the meter and after opening cover discovered it was nearly full
    to the top with water!  is this normal, my suspicion is its freezing at the meter junction too causing our mains to stop

This would most likely be a slow leak.

Irish water will have to investigate.

• Company Representative Posts: 485 Verified rep Irish Water: Allanah

Hi BobMc,

Thanks for getting in touch.
    BobMc wrote: »

Would you mind sending a PM with the below information and we can arrange for this matter to be investigated:

- Name;
    - Address; and
    - Contact number.

Thanks in advance,
    Allanah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

The water in the Boundary Box is just surface / rain water that got in due to either the lid not tightly closed or the seal around the lid broken. 

If it was a leak the water would continue to constantly flow out of the Boundary Box given that it is a closed in container and it would have no where else to go. 

Surface / rain water is will or does cause no harm. It's just more annoying than anything else.

Thanks. 

Tommy.

• Company Representative Posts: 485 Verified rep Irish Water: Allanah

Hi Tommy,

The water in the Boundary Box is just surface / rain water that got in due to either the lid not tightly closed or the seal around the lid broken.

If it was a leak the water would continue to constantly flow out of the Boundary Box given that it is a closed in container and it would have no where else to go.

Surface / rain water is will or does cause no harm. It's just more annoying than anything else.

Thanks.

Tommy.

Please note that while some water accumulating at the base of the boundary box may be surface water, it's necessary to investigate this as the previous poster mentioned that the box was full of water and this may indicate a problem.

I hope this information helps.

Thanks,
    Allanah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

OP - just get a disposable / reusable coffee cup and empty out your boundary box down as far as the top of the meter where you can actually see the reading. Go back into your house and turn off your isolation valve usually under the sink. You'll be killing the supply to your house at the point of entry. Go back out to your meter and monitor the reading movement. If there is movement i.e the last digit in red still moving then there is an external leak either at the boundary box / meter or between there and the point of entry to tour house. It'll take you about 5 mins to do that and save you wondering or worrying about whether or not there is a leak on your property. I wouldn't be waiting for IW to one get back to you and two actually send some one out to do what I said above. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Jonathan222

OP - just get a disposable / reusable coffee cup and empty out your boundary box down as far as the top of the meter where you can actually see the reading. Go back into your house and turn off your isolation valve usually under the sink. You'll be killing the supply to your house at the point of entry. Go back out to your meter and monitor the reading movement. If there is movement i.e the last digit in red still moving then there is an external leak either at the boundary box / meter or between there and the point of entry to tour house. It'll take you about 5 mins to do that and save you wondering or worrying about whether or not there is a leak on your property. I wouldn't be waiting for IW to one get back to you and two actually send some one out to do what I said above. 

Similar issue here with water in where the meter is. Received letter from IW saying there was an above average use of water from last read they took.
    Turned off the water in the meter (using the plastic handle) and the red digits stopped moving but not sure what that means. Is that a good or bad thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭BobMc

I have a siphon to empty it better than cup idea. I might just do that test, IW have said they'll be out to examine, if theres a leak its at the meter, Had a new mains run not two years ago

• Company Representative Posts: 254 Verified rep Irish Water: Agata

Similar issue here with water in where the meter is. Received letter from IW saying there was an above average use of water from last read they took.
    Turned off the water in the meter (using the plastic handle) and the red digits stopped moving but not sure what that means. Is that a good or bad thing?
    Hi Jonathan222,

If you would like us to look into this for you please PM us with the following details:

- Name;
    - Address; and
    - Contact number

Thanks,
    Agata

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Jonathan222

Hi Jonathan222,

If you would like us to look into this for you please PM us with the following details:

- Name;
    - Address; and
    - Contact number

Thanks,
    Agata

Thanks, I actually rang IW after my post and they said they will get someone out when they are in the area. I've never really looked at the meter before I got the letter, so I'm not sure if it's rain water in there or if there is a leak. The water was about three quarter of a way up the cylinder. Tanks and toilets are filling as normal, I.e. it's not constantly refilling when not in use. Washing machine and dishwasher also ok, so I'm sure it must be at the meter

• Company Representative Posts: 254 Verified rep Irish Water: Agata

Hi Jonathan222,

- Name;
    - Address; and
    - Contact number

Thanks,
    Agata

Thanks, I actually rang IW after my post and they said they will get someone out when they are in the area. I've never really looked at the meter before I got the letter, so I'm not sure if it's rain water in there or if there is a leak. The water was about three quarter of a way up the cylinder. Tanks and toilets are filling as normal, I.e. it's not constantly refilling when not in use. Washing machine and dishwasher also ok, so I'm sure it must be at the meter
    Hi Jonathan222,

Thanks for letting us know. We hope this is investigated for you soon.

Please feel free to get in touch with us again, should you have any other queries.

Have a good day,
    Agata

• Advertisement
Advertisement