Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms in D15 - Seeking an alternative to Ben Dunne

Options
  • 11-02-2019 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

After two and a half years being a regular Ben Dunne gym user (westpoint) I'm pretty fed up with it. It's full of posers and groups of kids, which is fine, but I find that this tends to lead to hoards of people standing around and just generally being "in the way." I'm in my 30s :cool: and looking for somewhere a bit more easy-going, without the thumping music and equipment left lying around all over the place and people getting in the way coz they're too busy staring in the mirrors or at their phones. I'd really appreciate some suggestions please :) Preferably a location between the vicinity of the Blanchardstown shopping centre and Castleknock. Thanks :)

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

We use Tone Zone in the Aquatic Centre. There is a small amount of some of the activity you mentioned but only a small bit. I'd say it will be hard to avoid these days but there really is a range of all ages in this gym, it's not a place for posers really not too many mirrors around the place. There are daily classes that are included as well if that is your kind of thing, first classes are at 6.15am and last classes at 7.30pm I think (aside from Aqua Fit which is at 8.15pm two nights a week)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Ger conroy in junction 6 would be perfect for you

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭StoptheClocks

Take a look a Junction 6, Ger Conroy is the big gym down there. But there is a few other smaller gym's there too. Junction 6 styles itself as a fitness village. Go over and have a walk around. You'll find them on facebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

Cheers lads! I appreciate it! Always good to have tailored recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Coolmine is definitely not for poser types! I really like that part of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

DareGod wrote: »
    Cheers lads! I appreciate it! Always good to have tailored recommendations.

He was giving out free day trials a week ago. maybe contact their FB page and give it a bash before you sign up. the facilities are good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

DareGod wrote: »
    After two and a half years being a regular Ben Dunne gym user (westpoint) I'm pretty fed up with it. It's full of posers and groups of kids, which is fine, but I find that this tends to lead to hoards of people standing around and just generally being "in the way." I'm in my 30s :cool: and looking for somewhere a bit more easy-going, without the thumping music and equipment left lying around all over the place and people getting in the way coz they're too busy staring in the mirrors or at their phones. I'd really appreciate some suggestions please :) Preferably a location between the vicinity of the Blanchardstown shopping centre and Castleknock. Thanks :)

I just joined Ben Dunne and, for 23 quid a month, you can't get much better.

I go in, get my workout done and get out - no messing about.

You'll get knobs everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

Keyzer wrote: »
    I just joined Ben Dunne and, for 23 quid a month, you can't get much better.

I go in, get my workout done and get out - no messing about.

You'll get knobs everywhere.

Report back to me in 6 months :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

miamee wrote: »
    We use Tone Zone in the Aquatic Centre. There is a small amount of some of the activity you mentioned but only a small bit. I'd say it will be hard to avoid these days but there really is a range of all ages in this gym, it's not a place for posers really not too many mirrors around the place. There are daily classes that are included as well if that is your kind of thing, first classes are at 6.15am and last classes at 7.30pm I think (aside from Aqua Fit which is at 8.15pm two nights a week)

Meant to add - no photography allowed in the gym so although there are numpties on their phones, gym selfies are out of bounds :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

Westside Strength & Fitness in Coolmine beside Verona is class, great equipment, rarely ever busy and thankfully not full of pouting knobs taking selfies after a few reps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

Crunch at Westmanstown is a brilliant GYM. Never had to wait for equipment, up to date equipment and really clean. Because its a bit awkward to get to (irregular bus service), you don't get many (if any) young teens going. It is pricey, but I think you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

ClubDead wrote: »
    Crunch at Westmanstown is a brilliant GYM. Never had to wait for equipment, up to date equipment and really clean. Because its a bit awkward to get to (irregular bus service), you don't get many (if any) young teens going. It is pricey, but I think you get what you pay for.

But OP doesn't want "thumping music and equipment left lying around all over the place" and both are unfortunately the case in Westmanstown.
    Lot's of kids around the last couple of month, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

ClubDead wrote:

In fairness the 239 now runs hourly 7 days a week .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Westside Strength & Fitness in Coolmine beside Verona is class, great equipment, rarely ever busy and thankfully not full of pouting knobs taking selfies after a few reps.
    great equipment indeed, however there are plenty of selfie takers in there, good few juicers in there too, that doesn't matter thoufh. Get the head down and train, probably has the best equipment in the area.
    Shout out to Ger conroy fitness too, good gym, some outdated equipment, probably inherited from TF, particularly the leg macines but other than that, thumbs up

Advertisement